Dust cloud

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Babette (Shawn)

Dust cloud

Post by Babette (Shawn) »

I’m having a problem with a used sandblaster I purchased. I put new 220 aluminum oxide grit in it, hooked up to a Skat blast vacuum. The problem is that it is so cloudy with dust and I can’t see what I am blasting. I tried turning down the pressure to 35lbs, opening the door a crack -but still really cloudy. The vacuum has excellent suction. Any suggestions ?
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
― Pablo Picasso
Kevin Midgley

Re: Dust cloud

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Well when the coarse aluminum oxide grit I use gets down to about your size, 220 grit, I am looking to throw it out as all it does is creates a dust cloud. Without any mass to each tiny particle, they don't do any work. You've seen with your own eyes the party set inside your sand blaster all dancing on the disco dance floor but not getting anywhere. That is your sandblaster right now.
It seemed like a good idea to go with that fine 220 grit but it is much simpler to use a much coarser grit and turn the pressure down to 20 psi. The coarse grit will rapidly break down and you will soon enough have the fine grit.
I can't remember if I started with 80 or 120 grit in my system but I usually run it at 20psi If you back away from the surface being blasted the results can be quite satin finished.
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Hi Shawn. I use 220 AO in my blaster and, yes, there is quite a bit of airborne/cloudy material, but i can definitely see what I’m doing. I blast at about 50 psi. You may have too large or a worn ceramic aperture in your nozzle, which is allowing too much material to pass through. How does the blasted glass look? Are you getting a more aggressive or wider spray than expected?

Since your vacuum is working well, I’d suspect the problem is the delivery at the nozzle rather than the media. PM me or call if you you’d like more input. BTW, what type and capacity is your compressor?

Sharol
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Shawn, did any of the answers you received solve your problem? If not perhaps reconsider your vacuum's suction. I regularly blasted with 220 before I switched to 180, which soon breaks down to 220, anyway. By stepping back, as suggested, you can still get a smooth blast, not a pock-marked finish, with the 180.

The new 220 did not produce a dust cloud until it broke down even further. Perhaps the vacuum's rating suggests it will be efficient but make sure any filters are clean so it really does have good sucking capacity. It needs a larger exit for the air than you might expect.