Opinions re: 6.5" deep kiln models

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kitty

Opinions re: 6.5" deep kiln models

Post by Kitty »

I need to buy a new kiln, looks like 2nd hand not going to happen. The kiln I used for years was a big Glass Glow, probably 10" or 12" deep. The ones I've looked at online in the $2000 price range are only 6.5" deep. I've never had a kiln that shallow, and wonder, is there anything special about firing with heat source that much closer to the glass? I just don't know if that's a problem, or not. Other Paragons with more height are similar width (19"x19", 21x21, etc) are considerably more $$. I'd like to hear some opinions about whether this six inch thing is a non-issue, or if I should opt for bigger chamber. Thanks. Sold that big Glass Glow due to moving, and wish I had not. Probably a poor decision. Also, should mention that I'm not keen on clamshells, and don't need a bathtub model.
JestersBaubles

Re: Opinions re: 6.5" deep kiln models

Post by JestersBaubles »

It all depends upon what you plan to make. 6.5" is too short for anything but shallow drop-out vases and vases draped over floral formers. Any mold that is fairly deep/sits tall in the kiln is going to have to be fired very conservatively or you will experience uneven heating/thermal shock.

That being said, many many people get along just fine with 6.5" height kilns. You do, however, have to consider thermal shock if any part of the glass is going to be close to the elements.

Dana W.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I should have said no drop outs, etc. i’m pretty experienced, but the 6.5” depth gave me pause for thought since my former kiln was much deeper. I think I’ll pass on this model. Ive got two others Im looking at, but much more $$. Thx fir answering me.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

I've had no trouble using a 6" deep kiln for regular pieces (up to 1/2" thick). To be on the safe side, you can fire a little slower than you would in a larger kiln.

And the best option is a kiln that has the ability to turn off either the top or side elements.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Brad, thx for reply. The one I'm considering is Paragon's 19". coils in fiber lid, 6.5" deep. Only top coils, no sides.
https://www.paragonkilns.com/collection ... /fusion-19
If someone like you were to have an opinion between 2 kilns, then my alternate is spend a lot more and go for their 24"
https://kilnfrog.com/collections/front- ... -gl24adtsd.
Thanks again for help & opinion ... haven't had to buy for many years, but at least I know many models are not what I want.
Kitty
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

All things being equal, I'd always opt for the bigger kiln!
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Thanks Brad. I was worried that if I bought the 19" one with the 6" height, I would eventually be disappointed.
Appreciate you helping me with this. I will go for the GL24.
I know i'll be happy.
Kitty