Engraving signature on white fused glass art

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

LCS

Engraving signature on white fused glass art

Post by LCS »

I have engraved my signature on a white fused art piece and it does not show up. Anyone suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Engraving signature on white fused glass art

Post by Brad Walker »

Rub some acrylic paint in the area you engraved. The paint will go into the engraved area and you can wipe the rest off the surface.

Use any color except white, of course!
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

metal sharpie pen same method
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

I have been using a pen and "ink" to sign my work for years, I tried a Dremel and diamond scriber and was terrible with both.

As per Elskus, I mix Reusche black with clove oil to make "ink". A tiny jar lasts years. Use the "ink" and a simple nib pen to write whatever you wish on the top or bottom surface. It is the very last step before putting the piece in for the slump. Reusche's fuses at slumping temps. I use 1250°F.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Jim, the key is a 30 or 35,000 RPM Dremel. Slower speeds do not allow you to write smoothly. I use a small cylindrical bit held just like a pen for an almost invisible but still readable line. I sign the backs of earrings that way. Customers love it.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I use the method described by Jim, and taught to me by Albin Elskus: Reusche mixed in clove oil and fired. Non-fired colour additions are vulnerable to being cleaned off. Engraving is a one-shot commitment. Get it wrong and you can't wipe it off.

A painted and fired signature will last the life of the glass.