Slump schedules : Ripples, Twists & Grooves

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kinsey K

Slump schedules : Ripples, Twists & Grooves

Post by Kinsey K »

I'm getting ready to fire dishes using Slumpy's 'Ripple Like Mad' series. I want to be sure they get fully slumped down into the grooves. (I had one fired at the local arts center at a standard slump schedule and it didn't shape it enough; I have a kiln at home now). https://www.slumpys.com/Sales/Rippled-Like-Mad

Suggestions?

I was thinking of using a schedule I have used in the past for the 'Hanna Twist' molds, which posed the same problem at the arts center. When I used this at home, it worked great to capture the twist design and keep a flat bottom.
What I have logged:

300. 1200. 30
300. 1235. 35
AFAP. 900. 0
100. 700. 0
AFAP. 70. 0

According to my notes, I based this on Bullseye's cone mold schedule, slightly adjusted based on glasscampus and Slumpy info. Compared to my usual slump sched, here I added a heat up segment (per BE) and raised the process temp.

I'd like ideas for slumping Ripple Like Mad to get the full ripple effect; thoughts on Hanna Twist welcome as well.
Attachments
RippleLikeMad_bowl.jpg
Kevin Midgley

Re: Slump schedules : Ripples, Twists & Grooves

Post by Kevin Midgley »

There is no quick way to learn to fire a kiln as every kiln is different.
Take notes
Use test glass before 'an important piece of glass is used'.
Different colours will melt differently too.
I suggest reading Brad's books and all those of Boyce Lundstrom.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

I've always believed that a manufacturer should suggest firing schedules for the molds they sell. If nothing else, they would give you a starting point for your tests.

As Kevin says, every kiln is different. I would try the schedule that worked for you on a similar mold, take good notes, and adjust as necessary.
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Hi Kinsey,

Perhaps it’s a typo, but your posted schedule shows “0” for the anneal soak hold at 900.

If the two-stage slump soaks have worked for you in the past for highly trxtured molds, then try it. If you keep an eye on it when it reaches your top processing temperature, and if your kiln controller has the functionality, you can add time or increase temperature to ensure it fully conforms to the mold.

It can be tough nailing down schedules for these types of molds. I would suggest starting with a simple transparent blank and see how it turns out. That will give you a baseline to adjust from when working with stiffer glass or more complex designs.
Sharol