Enamel & powder

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

Enamel & powder

Post by jim burchett »

Can you mix dry enamel with clear powder to make custom colors?
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Kevin Midgley

Re: Enamel & powder

Post by Kevin Midgley »

What is the melting temperature of the enamel and the glass powder. One may exceed the preferred temperature range of the other.
Why not just use clear enamel powder?
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Both are hard enough to manage/control and both have different issues with temperature and annealing considerations. I think the idea is ill-conceived. Therefore I think you should damned well try it and see what happens. You might come up with a texture that's totally cool. You can give it a french name and sell the process instructions. Seriously though, whatever you do with it, assume that the compatibility is going to be compromised and a light or sparse layer would be safest to avoid crazing of the coating.
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I have been using clear glass flux that is waterground and mason ceramic stains to do printing and painting work for many years. It is a little less transparent than straight glass enamels but it gives one a broad palette. I get a large bag of the clear flux which is a fritted glass powder and then I can get the mason stains from my local ceramic supply place.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Terry, What temperature do you then fire the glass, please?
Terry Gallentine

The fluxes that I use have a melting point of around 1000 degrees. The addition of the ceramic stains raises the melting point of the mixture. The mixture's maturing point depends upon how much stain is added to the flux. I find that I get results at temperatures from 1250 degrees to 1350 degrees.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thank you, Terry. I take it those numbers are Celsius?

Fahrenheit would be too easy.
Terry Gallentine

Those are Fahrenheit degrees. I use a pretty low firing lead based flux for my work and that is why the temps with stains added are around 1250 to 1350 degrees.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

That's excellent news. Guess the main issue is removing the lead fumes while the kiln is firing? Do you use an extractor fan or a fume hood?
Terry Gallentine

I have ventilation near the kilns but the amount of lead that is vaporized is minimal. I have had periodic lead blood tests mainly because of my leaded glass work and have had no high levels. The danger of lead poisoning is greater with simple solder work for leaded glass than the firing of lead based fluxes, frits or enamels. At least that is my experience. There are other types of fritted fluxes other than lead that have a slightly higher melting point that may work for you. I just use the lead based fluxes because they are what I started out with and that I have experience with.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks for the detailed reply, Terry. I just use a gentle fan doing leaded glass and can easily position one to draw any kiln fumes to an open window. We don't have any winter to speak of so an open window any time of year is no problem. Thanks again for the info.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Sorry I am late to the party, I've been ouot of town.

Heck yea you can combine enamel or stains with powder.
I do it all the time.
pendant3575.jpg
piece2725.jpg
piece2727.jpg