Paragon Pearl 22 black soot

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michele-MD

Paragon Pearl 22 black soot

Post by Michele-MD »

Hi, I have a Paragon Pearl that is probably at least 12 years old. In the past year or so, it has started dropping very fine black gritty soot on my glass during firings. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and whether they know the cause? At first I thought it was from the ageing top elements - they are the original ones. But then I wondered if it could be flaking off the inside of the lid, perhaps from paint if it was deteriorating or just some sort of debris from the metal. It seems to be more prevalent towards the back of the kiln where the element connects to the kiln but also occurs in other places. I brush and vacuum the elements every time I fire but it still drifts down onto the glass. I would appreciate any insight anyone has. I will call Paragon but hearing from those in this forum seems like a good place to start. Thanks!