Denver Machinery thermocouple error

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marian

Denver Machinery thermocouple error

Post by Marian »

I have error message "OPEN" on my 17 year old KL50DD Denver kiln. The manual on the Red Lion controller says it is the probe, which I assume is the thermocouple. Since Denver Machinery is not in business, I wonder how to find out how to get another thermocouple and how to install it. It is tiny and the screws to attach the leads are in the back of the controller. Do I take the box off the unit? Anybody did this switch before, or advice? Thank you everyone, this is a wonderful forum.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Denver Machinery thermocouple error

Post by Brad Walker »

Is this the controller manual you have: https://019361d.netsolhost.com/catalog/ ... manual.pdf

Red Lion is here: https://www.redlion.net/ With luck they should be able to help.
Marian

Re: Denver Machinery thermocouple error

Post by Marian »

That's the one! OK, I'll try them-
The response from Red LIon was really fast, here it is:
"The OPEN error can mean a open thermocouple sensor or a hardware failure of the control given it's age. Thermocouples types are based on lead wire color code. TYPE J for example is RED and White leads. TYPE K for example is Red and Yellow leads, "

So that means- it could be bad or really bad. J thermocouple doesn't seem to have a big enough heat tolerance, so I'll try a K, the lead wires on there now are white and a woven sort of red and white. It's small and bent to sit close to the fiber wall on the kiln.
If that doesn't fix it, I guess a new controller? Any Denver Machinery kiln owners weigh in?