Rigidizing fibreboard

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michelle Schouten

Rigidizing fibreboard

Post by Michelle Schouten »

I’ve rigidized, fired and cemented a fibreboard in an effort to make a new kiln shelf for my 2417 Evenheat. Does anyone know what temp Celsius I need to fire the cemented fibreboard? I used QF 180 blue as the cement.
Thanks in anticipation
Kevin Midgley

Re: Rigidizing fibreboard

Post by Kevin Midgley »

to whatever burns the binders off. Depends on time and temperature etc. The binder is usually sugar in my experience.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

650 C should do it, but it wouldn't hurt to go to 800 C.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

I thought you were not to take boards and blankets to too high a temperature in burnout because of the risks of creating crystobalite. That is why the non specific temperature I posted. It depends hugely on the amount of binder used in the particular material. I once used some building a kiln and burned it out with so much smoke production I figured someone would call the fire department. The supplier apologized.
Michelle Schouten

Post by Michelle Schouten »

Thanks guys. I went to 820 C before seeing the replies. The blue cement has turned white and all seems good. I now have a new, flat, bigger shelf on top of the old one.
Kevin, what is crystobalite?