Perfect white for fusing( Liquid Paper???) YES

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

charlie wrote: typing? mistakes? do you put it on the computer screen? :?: is it in the same aisle as buggy whips?

i don't get it.
Yes, just past the sucker rods on the left.
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

Fun Fact:

Michael Nesmith's (of Monkees fame) mother invented Liquid Paper (aka White Out). When she invented this stuff to benefit the typing community, she had no idea what it would do for the arts as well.

FYI-In the "At The Bench" section of AJM magazine (Feb 2004), Alan Revere recommends using Correction Fluid to inhibit solder from melting in prior seams. But here's the interesting caveat regarding toxicity and I quote, "Note: Water-based correction fluids are less toxic than those that are solvent-based. In any event, after applying the liquid, let it air dry in a well ventilated area, and do not inhale the fumes."

I wish I had a well ventilated area so I don't inhale fumes. I really want to play with this stuff.

And thanks for this thread. When I do get a "well" ventilated space for my kiln, I'm gonna give this a try.

Regards,

Melissa
Melissa Terman
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Melissa Terman wrote:Michael Nesmith's (of Monkees fame) mother invented Liquid Paper (aka White Out). When she invented this stuff to benefit the typing community, she had no idea what it would do for the arts as well.
I think you left out a word. Mike Nesmith's mother invented "Liquid Paper" in 1951. IBM rejected the product, so she made it on her own and eventually sold out to Gillette.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mwhiteout.html
Liam

Post by Liam »

Dani wrote: What is in whiteout anyway?
I remember my dad shaking his head and saying "I'm getting too old"

I finally get it, but where did I put it.

Liam
W.W.S.D.
(what would spab do)
Dani

Post by Dani »

Well, if the previous two posts are any indication of what happens in old age..... ROFLO. I never asked "what is whiteout" and the original post did say M.N.'s mother. And have you noticed how middle-aged people are constantly interrupting and butting into conversation? It's not because we're rude, it's because we can't hold that thought for the duration of the other person's sentence! Wait until all the boomers are old...ugly, very ugly. :shock:
frenchacidman

Post by frenchacidman »

I would venture to guess the white is titanium dioxide. As for toxicity, straight out of the bottle beware of the solvents such as trichlor or perchlor
ethelene Etc, known to cause reproductive problems and nerve damage in humans and lab animals, most likely in copius amounts. The dried coating is basically safe until introduced to the kiln heat. Then beware of vapors released as the body or vehicle which bonded the titanium dioxide burns and is released into the air.
You might just acquire some titanium dioxide powder and try mixing it with water friendly medium, it would dry slower and work easier, possibly try using an airbrush. I remember seeing the railroad sideing next to the old Standard Brands Paint factory and how bright white (snow blinding) the ground and equipment where along the side of the factory from the escaped Titanium residue.
Pat
Pat
Glenda Kronke

white out/liquid paper

Post by Glenda Kronke »

I wonder what this will do to elevate the 'percieved value' of fused glass.

...flamewar in 3.....2.....1
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

typing? mistakes? do you put it on the computer screen? is it in the same aisle as buggy whips?
charlie, you must be blonde??? LOL :shock:
Soory, I could not resist.

As for toxic, well, hell, everything these days is toxic. Even good ole' sand. One of the largest stuff arround, makes me wonder how we survived all these years. :wink:
"Oh Captain, my Captain... help me see things in other ways and attain heights few tread."
Dead Poets Society
Dani

Post by Dani »

hoknok wrote:
typing? mistakes? do you put it on the computer screen? is it in the same aisle as buggy whips?

Oh, dear. So, Charlie, are you blonde now?? :twisted: Charles, are you??
dee

Post by dee »

charlie wrote:
dan001 wrote:The questions came to me more than once.

I guess their is another commecial name. White Liquid paper is the stuff that you can find at stationary store to erase a mistake made by typing. You apply this over your mistake and than re type on top and cannot see that you mess up.They use to sell them in small bottle, but my kids are now buying it for school in a Pen format, I know that they are also available in small tape as well.

The Commercial brand name that I used is Paper mateand the bottle is also called Correction fluid . It is apprarently made by Sandford, in Bellwood.Il 60104, a divison of Newell rubbermaid
thir si also a1-800-668-4575

Dan
typing? mistakes? do you put it on the computer screen? :?: is it in the same aisle as buggy whips?

i don't get it.
you must be having a blonde moment hehehehehehehehe
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Sharon Dunham

Liquid Paper

Post by Sharon Dunham »

Since Liquid Paper comes in different colors has anyone tried something other than white??? :?:
charlie

Post by charlie »

frenchacidman wrote:I would venture to guess the white is titanium dioxide. As for toxicity, straight out of the bottle beware of the solvents such as trichlor or perchlor
ethelene Etc, known to cause reproductive problems and nerve damage in humans and lab animals, most likely in copius amounts. The dried coating is basically safe until introduced to the kiln heat. Then beware of vapors released as the body or vehicle which bonded the titanium dioxide burns and is released into the air.
You might just acquire some titanium dioxide powder and try mixing it with water friendly medium, it would dry slower and work easier, possibly try using an airbrush. I remember seeing the railroad sideing next to the old Standard Brands Paint factory and how bright white (snow blinding) the ground and equipment where along the side of the factory from the escaped Titanium residue.
Pat
TiO2 is the main ingrediant in normal white house paint. you can probably get a tube of it at the paint store.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Dani wrote:
hoknok wrote:

Oh, dear. So, Charlie, are you blonde now?? :twisted: Charles, are you??
does gray count as blonde?
Queenbee

blonds/White Out

Post by Queenbee »

Does dyed blond count as blond? I'm digging the conversation on this whiteout. It's true. Everything is toxic or hasn't proven to be non-toxic over a period of time. I say, let's just throw all kinds of junk on our glass and see what happens! I'll probably die of all the dye i've put on my head over the years!
charlie

Re: blonds/White Out

Post by charlie »

Queenbee wrote:Does dyed blond count as blond? I'm digging the conversation on this whiteout. It's true. Everything is toxic or hasn't proven to be non-toxic over a period of time. I say, let's just throw all kinds of junk on our glass and see what happens! I'll probably die of all the dye i've put on my head over the years!
well, maybe. http://www.healthlink.mcw.edu/article/983226059.html
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Patty Gray wrote:I was told that white out has some health warnings, that it might do something with the brain or nerves. Anyone know about this? We used white out and had great results on the surface of glass and even on the bottom. Since the warning of hazards with the use I stopped using it. Health/hazard warning??

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com
Seems a while back, children of all ages were inhaling it to alter their perception. That may have something to do with the toxic label.

Jack
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

How come when I put white out on the screen to correct my typing it does not scroll with the posting?
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Stuart Clayman wrote:How come when I put white out on the screen to correct my typing it does not scroll with the posting?
You have to pick your monitor up and throw it on the floor a couple of times.

Then it will scroll.
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

I don't know about scrolling, but if it lands just right it rolls, but then it's blond wig comes off.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Brook

Post by Brook »

Hey,

Here is another use for White Out... :)

Several years ago my daughter (Now 21) tried using white out on a couple of stains she aquired on her "white" shirt... She thought I would never see the spots... after all she used "white out"... :-$ ](*,) Kids do the darnest things.. #-o by the way the white out didn't wash out but th koolaid did spread out from under the edges of the white out...

I put that story in the same category as her using deoderant for the first time...

The day after I bought some for her she announced she needed another bottle of deoderant!!! She was walking verrwee, verrwee, carefully :-k :-s as she was announcing her latest request from the store. She apparently used it EVERYWHERE.. by that I mean all sides of her arms & legs, stomach and any where else she could reach... she was surprised to learn where you ACTUALLY use it.. of course she knew everything and wasn't going to listen or ask Mom.... :doubt: :oops:

just had to share...

by the way, I love using both those stories in front of the new Boyfriend...

Brook
Brook L. Alsdurf
Creative Glass by Brook
Manassas, Virginia