Glue!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Greg Rawls

Glue!

Post by Greg Rawls »

I've made a large panel and it's too big to fuse together in my kiln. It's 25" high and about 10 pieces that all fit together. It's some clear and some opal. I thought about use a piece of 1/4" float and gluing all pieces to it. Since there is opal, I can't use UV glue. I want something that will hold and not yellow. Any suggestions?????
Greg
charlie

Post by charlie »

the float isn't clear? what about just flipping it? you could also put it on something and use a uv light from the back.
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

Hxtal glue from hISGLASSWORKS.COM

tAKE A LONGIE TIME
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Turning it over and UV gluing is one option, but Loctite also has a clear 2-part epoxy which should do the trick. Use the 5-minute setup (smells like hell), but that should work. Fast setup would be the UV at 5-15 seconds. Hope that helped. - Barbara
Barbara J Cashman
http://www.glastile.com
Glass Tile Manufacturer
RiverWoman

Post by RiverWoman »

does super glue work? I have used it to glue pieces onto glass before fusing it, and that didn't cause any problems.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I've never used it myself, but it came recommended to me, 2 part silicone. There is a long working time. You do need to put it in a vacuum chamber to get rid of bubbles.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

does super glue work? I have used it to glue pieces onto glass before fusing it, and that didn't cause any problems.
Super glue is ok to hold pieces pre-firing, but don't count on it over the long haul. It gets very brittle and loses its hold, especially in colder temperatures.