Respirator ?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

camaro

Respirator ?

Post by camaro »

Questions: Can I vacum out my kiln?
What type of repirator do I need- please be specific.
Can I purchase one from Home Depot--Lowes?

Will I damage the existing Kiln wash already on my kiln shelves or kiln floor?

Thank you
camaro :?
Cynthia

Re: Respirator ?

Post by Cynthia »

camaro wrote:Questions: Can I vacum out my kiln?
Yes.

What type of repirator do I need- please be specific.
One with purple filters (the color indicates what it will filter out. Purple is the one you want, but I don't recall the particle size) and a soft rubber face mask that will make a tight seal against your face. Mine is made by North. I got it at an Industrial Supply store.

Can I purchase one from Home Depot--Lowes?
Don't know.

Will I damage the existing Kiln wash already on my kiln shelves or kiln floor?
No. You can scrape the wash off ofyour shelf and vaccuum the shelf clean and the floor of the kiln while you are at it. You have to scrape it to damage the coating.

Thank you
camaro :?
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

Cynthia, Purple filters? Mine are pink. I thought we are supposed to use P100s. Please let me know if that is wrong.

Camaro, I use a vaccum (sp?) with a HEPA filter, especially for fiber papers. Otherwise, all the dust is pushed back out into the air. I purchased a Shark brand from Bed, Bath & Beyond for like $50 USD.

If P100 is the way to go, I purchased my respirator (3M 6000) and filter from http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product ... giene.html

Regards,

Melissa[/url]
Melissa Terman
paulajane

Post by paulajane »

You want to make sure the mask fits. While Lowes and Home Depot did have the correct respirators where I lived, they only had one size. Your best bet is to go to a supplier where you can try one on. It needs to fit snugly.

Paula
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

I've got lots of information on respirators on my web site:
http://www.gregorieglass.com

1) Questions: Can I vacum out my kiln?

Absolutely - this is the best way to clean out thin fire paper that has been fired. You need a shop vac with a HEPA (high efficiency particulate filter) filter. All can be bought at Lowes/Home Depot.

2) What type of repirator do I need- please be specific.
If you do #1 above, exposure will be minimal. However, for maximum protection, you need a P95 or P100/HEPA. Everyone thinks that P100 is the only way to go, but for RCF (refractory ceramic fibers aka "thin fire paper") it is a fiber and a P95 is prefectly adequate and easier to wear as it has much less breathing resistance. Respirators come in many sizes, so make sure you buy one that will fit. P100's are color coded pink/purple. However, you can buy multi-cartridges that will have many colored stripes (yellow - acid gas, black - organic vapoer, etc.) and will address many types of exposures.

3) Can I purchase one from Home Depot--Lowes?
Yes, but you will have wider selection at http://www.labsafety.com. Click on:
Products | Personal Safety | Respirators | Air-Purifying Respirators/Cartridges. The respirator and cartridges are sold separately.

Greg
Greg