black magic

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Judy Schnabel

black magic

Post by Judy Schnabel »

I know the bottle says it matures at 900 but how high do you really have to go for it to mature?

Judy
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

The idea of this product is to gloss up the back (mold side) of a bent piece without the shape changing (temp to low...so piece will not deform). I"ve not had the pleasure of getting Back Magic to do anything remotely like magic, or even anything near to what it says it will do. It's got lead in it, so make sure you don't use it on a food bearing surface. Try 1100F and see if that glosses things up for you. Maybe others have had better results, or maybe I just never figured out how to use it. I threw mine out. :-s
Dani

Post by Dani »

So, you're saying Black Magic might work better, Cynthia? :wink:
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

I use Super Spray a lot but I recenty recycled a broken vase that was lead crystal.

I was successful with the final product but the devit was horrible. I melted it in a saucer first then slumped it through a drop out mold. I put Super Spray on it before slumping it thinking it would reach high enough temp for the Super Spray to cure. However, the slump was finished at about 1300 so the SS didn't cure.

That's why I was wondering if Black Magic would work without distorting my already-slumped vase.

Judy
Last edited by Judy Schnabel on Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillBrach

Post by BillBrach »

Judy,

It will add shine to a piece and nothing else. It will NOT remove texture on the back of pieces.

I usually run to 1000 or so, to make sure it melted. Just like "Spray A", make sure the glass is clean before you apply it.

Bill
Visit my Art Glass Answers forum
[url]http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Thanks Bill.

It just might be worth firing again with some Black Magic. Anything over 1300 is going to distort my bowl.

BTW, we have Bill Branch Chevrolet in Ft. Myers. Any relation?

Judy
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Dani wrote:So, you're saying Black Magic might work better, Cynthia? :wink:
Possibly. Possibly. If you know the verse and can draw a few pentagrams?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Cynthia wrote:
Dani wrote:So, you're saying Black Magic might work better, Cynthia? :wink:
Possibly. Possibly. If you know the verse and can draw a few pentagrams?
But won't the fillings affect the firings?

I'm sure the cherries will be a mess.

Lady Godiva
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Dani

Post by Dani »

And just to confuse the issue even more, I just stumbled upon a knitters gadget called Black Magic as opposed to BACK Magic which is for fusing.... and eventually I'm sure we'll find another Back Magic which is related to spinal health if we search long enough..... Oy! :wink:
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Bill Branch wrote me and asked if I was sure it was Black Magic.
I thought I was sure until he raised the question.

Just went out to check the spelling. Guess what? It's BACK magic. Actually that makes sense since it's for the back of glass. Bottle says it matures at 975. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Judy
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

the product is back magic, but there is black magic involved... the black magic part is that the prodcut is still sold.. and they we have nto run them out of town on the rail... The product does not work.. I even called the manufacturer and the woman that answer the phone told me not to use it but to go out and get a spray can of acrylic.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
BillBrach

Post by BillBrach »

Stuart,

I hate to disagree with you, but "Back Magic" does work for me.

Granted, it does NOT perform "magic" on your glass, but it definately adds gloss to whatever is there.

On some pieces I've done with it, it is very shiny, on others only a little extra shine. If the surface is smooth, it will certainly add shine.

Bill
Visit my Art Glass Answers forum
[url]http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Well, I do have to admit that the pieces that I tried it on were not that flat, they had fiber board bumps on it.

Stuart
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Dani

Post by Dani »

Judy Schnabel wrote::oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Bill Branch wrote me and asked if I was sure it was Black Magic.
I thought I was sure until he raised the question.

Just went out to check the spelling. Guess what? It's BACK magic. Actually that makes sense since it's for the back of glass. Bottle says it matures at 975. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Judy
Which just goes to show you, if you try to be too cute and clever when naming a product, it can backfire on you.... pardon the pun. :twisted: