2 things for a newbie - safety & skutt kiln message

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rowanberry

2 things for a newbie - safety & skutt kiln message

Post by rowanberry »

Just got my first kiln & started fusing - I see that Skutt sells vent hoods for their kilns. Do I need to vent the kiln when I am fusing glass, using kiln wash and no fiber paper? What makes the fumes? (I did not smell anything or see anything) Also, I have a Skutt HotStart with a Controller. As it was ramping down, it gave me the message "CPL(?) 5.52 - does anyone know what that means? It's not in the manual, and I will call skutt, but thought I would ask here first since it's the weekend. thanks.
Brock

Re: 2 things for a newbie - safety & skutt kiln message

Post by Brock »

Just got my first kiln & started fusing - I see that Skutt sells vent hoods for their kilns. Do I need to vent the kiln when I am fusing glass, using kiln wash and no fiber paper?
No.
What makes the fumes?
Almost anything other than what you named.
(I did not smell anything or see anything) Also, I have a Skutt HotStart with a Controller. As it was ramping down, it gave me the message "CPL(?) 5.52 - does anyone know what that means? It's not in the manual, and I will call skutt, but thought I would ask here first since it's the weekend. thanks.
That's my license plate!
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
skin_mechanic

Post by skin_mechanic »

Howdy there :) :) I'm a fellow Skutt owner, and green as grass :lol: so my 1st answer may be wrong. I don't think you'll have to worry about fumes from the kiln wash, enameling may be another story though. I've been considering buying the EnviroVent to aid in keeping the temps even, and steady. The CPL 5.52 message means the firing process was completed in 5hrs, 52mins. You'll learn alot from these guys, I have, and I've only been here for a day :D

-Joseph
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

CPL was probably "controler-speak" for complete. The 552 (was that it?) is the current temp reading in the kiln. Hit the stop button once and just the temp will flash.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

cpl is the time from start to shut off. record that in your firing log. it is valuable info. rosanna
rowanberry

Thanks & 1 more question

Post by rowanberry »

Thanks for the info, all! If the process was complete in 5.52 hours, then the rest of the time must have been annealing and cool down. Then the question is, once I see the CPL, can I unplug the kiln and go to bed? (I was up every half hour until 4AM and it still read 256 degrees - at which point I did finally unplug it.
Jackie Beckman

Re: Thanks & 1 more question

Post by Jackie Beckman »

rowanberry wrote:Thanks for the info, all! If the process was complete in 5.52 hours, then the rest of the time must have been annealing and cool down. Then the question is, once I see the CPL, can I unplug the kiln and go to bed? (I was up every half hour until 4AM and it still read 256 degrees - at which point I did finally unplug it.
Yes, once it reads CPL it's done so you can just unplug it and go to bed - in fact, that's the BEST thing to do to prevent you from peeking inside before its cooled.
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

I think everyone has covered your questions.

On some controllers the CPL will flash, then 5.52 (meaning the amount of time it took for your firing cycle) then 256 which is the present temperature in the kiln.

Hope this helps.

Judy
rosanna gusler

Re: Thanks & 1 more question

Post by rosanna gusler »

rowanberry wrote:Thanks for the info, all! If the process was complete in 5.52 hours, then the rest of the time must have been annealing and cool down. Then the question is, once I see the CPL, can I unplug the kiln and go to bed? (I was up every half hour until 4AM and it still read 256 degrees - at which point I did finally unplug it.
annealing is part of the process. when it says complete it has run through all the segments that you told it to and is cooling naturally. rosanna