Ring saw or bandsaw?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

eegee

Ring saw or bandsaw?

Post by eegee »

Hi - I'm ready to get a saw to do more intricate cuts. I envision cutting details into sheet glass before fusing as well as trimming the glass after it has been fused.

Can anybody summarize the pros/cons of a ring saw vs. a band saw for this type of use?

Any further advise on which type of saw to buy would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

There was a long discussion some time back about saws.

Some of us who do intricate cuts do them with a ring saw. I have a Taurus II and am happy with it. I also have a tile saw.

However, if you're cutting pattern bars or any other thick glass, Taurus does not recommend that sort of cutting on this particular model saw. Taurus has come out with a new saw which they claim can cut pattern bars. I don't know.

I do know the cuts I make with my ring saw cannot be done on a tile saw.

Search the archives and you'll find lots of info and peoples' experiences and opinions on saws. Many pros and cons.

Judy
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

My experience summed up below.

Ring saws Pros: Very durable blade, cuts in all directions, can cut very small radius convolutions, no adjustments for tension or tracking, operator friendly as blade does not come off.
Ring saw Cons: Can only do one layer at a time, takes out a large kerf, replacement blades are expensive, noisy.
Band saw Pros: Multiple layer cuts possible, thin kerf, blades less expensive than ring saws, quiet.
Band saw Cons: Blades break more easily, cuts in only one direction, constant tracking and tension adjustment required, operator can easily cause blade to come off with inattention or misuse.

I have two Gryphon band saws and the two most recent Tauruses. I rarely use the band saws. The ring saw gets almost daily use. If I needed to cut pattern bars I would get a tile saw, and the archive is loaded with info these. Good luck.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Judy Schnabel wrote: However, if you're cutting pattern bars or any other thick glass, Taurus does not recommend that sort of cutting on this particular model saw. Taurus has come out with a new saw which they claim can cut pattern bars. I don't know.
Judy
Judy are you talking about the Revolution Tile Saw from Gemini? if so we have this beastie and love it. it has actually taken over our old granddaddy lapidary saw. It is quiet and not messy, cuts through thick pieces like butter and will cut a compound curve. Biggest challenge was our learning curve . . . read a manual, watch the educational video, heh us???? the bearings tend to disolve faster than we'd like although the blade last slightly over a year with heavy use.

Sara
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Sara,

Actually I was referring to the new Taurus III(?) It has a separating blade and the way the literature reads, the saw portion can be taken off the stand and used in another location.

I was going to order it, but Art Glass House seems to think there may be some bugs :roll: to work out.

I believe a couple people on the board have purchased the new Taurus and weren't that impressed that it's suppose to be more quiet.

However, if you're impressed with the Revolutional Tile Saw from Gemini I might check it out.

Judy
lucky

Post by lucky »

I have the Taurus III. I have used both the Taurus II and the III. The III is much quieter. Last week I taught at a high school. Three days students used the Taurus III EXTENSIVELY and they never once broke it. These kids had NO experience with glass. I have found that about 40 hours of use the bushing and belt need to be replaced. Not bad, a belt is around $9.00 (wholesale) and the bushing come with a new blade which isn't bad either (wholesale). I have used the split ring blade, the mega blade and cut 3/8" float glass using it free hand. The float glass was a little much for the standard blade that it comes with. The mega blade did excellent.

I have also used a bandsaw. They're two different saws. It was tough for me to choose, but am VERY happy with my dicussion to purchase the Taurus III. I do see a day that we will be a LARGE version of a bandsaw.

Hope it helps.
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Sara,

I checked out the Revolutionary Tile Saw on Gemini's website but it doesn't say this particular saw cuts omni-directional. What's your experience? Also, there's no price on the website.

Judy
Sara

Post by Sara »

Judy Schnabel wrote:Sara,

I checked out the Revolutionary Tile Saw on Gemini's website but it doesn't say this particular saw cuts omni-directional. What's your experience? Also, there's no price on the website.

Judy
Hi Judy.

The Revolution didn't have a releasing blade available when we purchased it last year, maybe now, I'm gonna call. As for omni-directional, it won't cut as tight and controlled as the Ring Saw although does cut a complex or compound curve, I can't remember the terminology.

Price last year was approximately $1200. we felt a good deal.

Sara
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

I've got a revolution also, very expensive but it works great. Yes it can cut a circle and compound curves (easily cuts 1/8" wide pattern bar slices) and for more intricuit cuts there is a blade available with diamond on both sides (blades are round and hollow, no center). :lol:
Mark Hughes
Sara

Post by Sara »

Mark Hughes wrote:I've got a revolution also, very expensive but it works great. Yes it can cut a circle and compound curves (easily cuts 1/8" wide pattern bar slices) and for more intricuit cuts there is a blade available with diamond on both sides (blades are round and hollow, no center). :lol:
Our only downside is that it requires a bit more maintenance than some tile saws we've seen . . . although I understand the Taurus does too. It can easily be moved around the studio and since it has a contained water source it isn't as messy as a tile saw or as noisy.

Overall a great piece of equipment and worth the moola.

Sara