Powder 'n Frit Storage

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

Powder 'n Frit Storage

Post by Paul Tarlow »

As my collection of powder and frit has grown I've been looking for a good way to store them. It turns out CD racks (like the one pictured below) work perfectly for those BE 1 lb jars:

- Paul
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Powder 'n Frit Storage

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Paul Tarlow wrote:As my collection of powder and frit has grown I've been looking for a good way to store them. It turns out CD racks (like the one pictured below) work perfectly for those BE 1 lb jars:

- Paul
I am willing 2 store em 4 U

Also do U have a large saw U need storing ?
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

Good idea, Paul. I think I may use that one. :D

Regards,
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Paul thats very clever and looks quite effective. My technique is based on my pre-raphaelite anachronistic sensibilities, although I've recently been integrating feng shui principles into my shelve arranging as well. My current favorite vessel is the straight sided peanut butter jar. Don't be shy, people, show us your stuff.
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Thanks for the best laugh I've had in a week.

I didn't see my favorite; Boar's Head White Wine Mustard jar. I also love those little pimento jars.

G'pa Jim
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

Jim Wolverton wrote:Thanks for the best laugh I've had in a week.

I didn't see my favorite; Boar's Head White Wine Mustard jar. I also love those little pimento jars.

G'pa Jim
Jim, did you manage to snag a collection of baby food jars too? Or do they not have screw off caps any more?

Jerry
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Oh, the good old days of screw cap baby food jars. I only have one left. Today's jars use a rubbery friction cap which is not as good as the old ones, IMO.

I'm always on the lookout for jars since I'm an incurable packrat. Less than a year ago I bought (600) 4 oz. plastic jars on eBay. Then, more recently, I bought (100) 1 oz. glass jars. The former are used for frit and the latter are used to mix paint for the airbrush since they fit the siphon cap. That's why I bought them. I use them both for other stuff too.

Using the 4 oz. jars for frit allows me to have all the colors in a drawer under the counter and they're also a comfortable size to handle when working with frit.

A couple years ago I bought (50) plastic trays on eBay that I have now fitted into a cabinet as drawers to store scrap. They pull out and stack/nest so I can take them to the bench when working on a piece.

I'm always looking for storage idea since my space is limited but my appetite isn't.

G'pa Jim
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Here's a couple pictures of the above mentioned storage. The green trays measure 7" x 12.5"

G'pa Jim

Bev Brandt

Post by Bev Brandt »

Jim Wolverton wrote:Oh, the good old days of screw cap baby food jars. I only have one left. Today's jars use a rubbery friction cap which is not as good as the old ones, IMO.
I remember my excitement oh...about 7 years ago when I started buying baby food for my oldest. "Jars!" thought I, "Wonderful storage jars for small objects!" (At the time I was not thinking of frit, I grew into glass later.)

Man, what a disappointment! Not only did Number One dislike just about any baby food offered, but the jars were practically worthless lid-wise. Pimiento jars are better, but try getting a baby to eat those! :lol:

I remember my father's workbench. He'd attached the lids of the baby-food jars - the good kind from more than 40 years ago :wink: - on a kind of rotating shelf system so that the jars were hanging down from the lids. Then he'd just unscrew the jar itself to get to the contents. I wish I had a photograph, it was pretty nice and quite a space-saver. One would have to use different jars these days, but it's still a thought.[/b]
Bev Brandt
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

"Pimiento jars are better, but try getting a baby to eat those!"

Hilarious! :lol: