Making a Reusable Graphite Mold

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

KimLindaberry

Making a Reusable Graphite Mold

Post by KimLindaberry »

:arrow: I am wondering about graphite molds and how they can be created? I've read a few forum answers to questions about the usage of reusable graphite molds. It seems that that graphite molds may not be recommended in kiln casting or slump forming because over long term use in the kiln they may breakdown. Given that I still do have a question about making a graphite mold maybe someone could advise me about. Specifically I'm wondering if there is a "castable" or "formable" graphite mold formula? Crucibles for metal casting are durable and typically can be made out of graphite/carbide mixture. It seems something like that should be durable and tough. I'm just wondering if anyone has considered this or tried packing something like that around a pattern for an open faced mold for glass? Does anyone have a graphite molding formula?

Thanks,
Don Burt

Re: Making a Reusable Graphite Mold

Post by Don Burt »

I want to know too. I've seen them used for small items like jewels for stained glass. That's what I would be interested in them for.
Kevin Midgley

Re: Making a Reusable Graphite Mold

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Jewels? buy them from Optul in Europe.
Yes, study the master of graphite molds and expect a learning curve. He took a year off blowing glass in order to develop his technology using graphite molds in which to cast the hot glass that he was ladling into the molds.
https://contempglass.org/artists/entry/mark-peiser
You are going to have to spend time and money to get anything that works. A simple question with a myriad of factors affecting the result. Note before you start the complexity of reaching your goal