Brand New Kiln Question

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Vicki M

Brand New Kiln Question

Post by Vicki M »

My new kiln arrived today it's a Paragon Fusion 10 with Sentry 2.0 controller. I have read where I need to put kiln wash on the floor of the kiln, do I also put it on the lid. The lid has the element in it. Also how do I program the controller to dry out the kiln wash. Thanks for any help. I have used a ceramic kiln in the past and I have never had a controller so I am new to this programming stuff.
CH Glass

Re: Brand New Kiln Question

Post by CH Glass »

There's are very good video tutorials at the Paragon website on how to use their controllers. My Paragon also came with great written instructions, not only for the controller, but for the kiln itself, which I refer to often!

I used to fire my newly kiln-washed shelf per instructions on the primer, but after reading lots of advice on this board, I let it dry overnight or set it in the sun to dry.

Have fun with your new kiln!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Kiln wash on the floor is a hedge against spills; I don't think you'll get spills on the lid.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Vicki M wrote:My new kiln arrived today it's a Paragon Fusion 10 with Sentry 2.0 controller. I have read where I need to put kiln wash on the floor of the kiln, do I also put it on the lid. The lid has the element in it. Also how do I program the controller to dry out the kiln wash. Thanks for any help. I have used a ceramic kiln in the past and I have never had a controller so I am new to this programming stuff.
Don't get the kiln wash anywhere near the elements!

Dana
Milly

Post by Milly »

A brand new kiln, how exciting!

The batt or kiln wash will protect the kiln floor from spills. You also need to paint it on any shelves you use to stop the glass from sticking. For the shelves you can also use thin fire shelf paper or fiber paper, available from kiln suppliers.

If there's no sun, heat the kiln to about 500F/260C to dry it out.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Mil
Vicki M

Post by Vicki M »

Thanks everyone for the help. I have fired it 3 times now and I am loving it. I just have to get used to the firing schedules now I have been trying ones from Fused Glass Org and Spectrum site. I'm taking plenty of notes and I am sure I will have more questions down the road. The help here is very much appreciated.
Lia Howe

Post by Lia Howe »

I dry my kiln shelf on the kiln during another firing. Been doing it for ever. Shelf is always completely dry. Might as well use the heat coming off the kiln, it doesn't cost a thing.Lia