Help -- Glass on Glass (w/out use of kiln) Question

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Bonnie Turner

Help -- Glass on Glass (w/out use of kiln) Question

Post by Bonnie Turner »

Hello ... I have a question, it's not to do with kiln glass, but I was told that the knowledgeable folks on WarmGlass could very likely help. I am about to embark on a Public Art piece ... it's a Mosaic out of Glass, and I would like to do it over a glass substrate. (GLASS ON GLASS) So that it can be viewed from both sides... Can anyone suggest the best glue to use that is ultra strong, will not yellow, and would be frost/heat resistant?

Your suggestions, input are greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks, and excited about eventually trying my hand at Kiln Glass! :)
lorimendenhall

Re: Help -- Glass on Glass (w/out use of kiln) Question

Post by lorimendenhall »

I do mosaics and I believe real mosaic artists use Mac glue for gog. I will check with some of my mosaic friends to confirm.
Bonnie Turner

Post by Bonnie Turner »

Thank you Lori. :) Your work is beautiful btw! I googled the MAC glue, but I read where some have experienced problems with it .... ?
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

I heard back from one of the gals (she is expert level) she said Lexel. oh and thanks!!
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

here is input from the other gal I asked...
You could use Mac as long as you grouted with epoxy grout...Lexel is good, but stinky and if you are using large pieces you will get bubbles and/or skrinkage....which can be an interesting look (see my splotch cat ). That's my 2 cents. Have fun and would love to see pictures!
Bonnie Turner

Post by Bonnie Turner »

Thanks so much for taking the time on this for me.

P.S. I am a 'real' mosaic artist ... lol :D
Bonnie Turner

Post by Bonnie Turner »

I tried to find your 'Splotch Cat' ... ? What is it under?
vblue

Post by vblue »

I don't know where the "epoxy grout" answer came from. Tina McIntire who developed the MAC Glue uses grout from Home Depot for her mosaics that sell in an high end gallery.

I have used MacGlue for several years for mosaics and have had no problems.

Vernelle
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

ha ha, no offense intended, the comment was meant about me not being "real". anyway, the suggestion to use epoxy grout came from a gal named Cindi. I'll see if I can post her picture...ok, does the picture have to be "hosted" someplace? I have it on y desktop and will post if I can know how.

I think the reason she mentioned the epoxy grout is due to the piece being outdoors maybe? cause I know lots of people (including myself) use Mac glue with regular grout all the time.
Bonnie Turner

Post by Bonnie Turner »

Thank you Vernelle for taking the time to reply.... I will do more research in this regard. And Lori, no offense taken ... just kinda made me laugh when I read it... :) And your work is great -- so I don't know why you wouldn't consider yourself a 'real' artist! And, some reason, I don't see any pix that you posted ... ?

Yes, my guess would be that it was mentioned because it is outdoors. My situation is that I cannot have bubbling or the like, though, I can see how it could be really interesting for some projects, this one, not so much... and I cannot have it yellow...and it must be frost/heat resistant.

I know .... I want it all! :)

Anyway -- glad to be introduced to this forum ... love all that I see here ... and again... I truly cannot wait to begin experimenting with kiln glass ... (but first things first) ...

Blessings all!

:)
Bonnie
THE ART OF LIFE

P.S. There is an Epoxy type grout that can be found at Home Depot and the like ... The one that I'm familiar with is put out by Laticrete...
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I would consider using a UV curing glue. This would allow you to place and move the glass pieces until you want to stabilize them and then expose to the light. There are a myriad of formulas for this glue genre. You want one that is relatively thick and is not sensitive to ambient light. Check with Chuck Karnolt. He specializes in UV glues for artists."Chuck Karnolt, CLK Associates" chuck at clk-llc.com
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Bonnie Turner

Post by Bonnie Turner »

Thank you Bert for taking the time to give me your valuable input ... I've been doing research, and talking to other artists ... and the UV glue seems to be the way to go. I'll be sure to check out Chuck Karnolt too.

Your work is beautiful Bert Weiss! Love the counter top (gorgeous)!!!

Thanks again everyone! Just love this site ....Happy 4th!