Screws for making fiberboard box

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

gemhuyck

Screws for making fiberboard box

Post by gemhuyck »

Is there a special type of screw which should be used when making a fiberboard box?
Morganica

Re: Screws for making fiberboard box

Post by Morganica »

I use stainless steel screws.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

gemhuyck wrote:Is there a special type of screw which should be used when making a fiberboard box?
Vermiculite box, I assume. Screws probably wouldn't work that well with fiberboard.

Any decent stainless screw would work, I use a Phillips flat head, Stainless steel 18-8, #8 x 1-1/2".

Make sure you pre-drill a hole before using the screw.
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Where is fiberboard sold! I went to the friendly friendly men homedepot,no luck!
Does. It have another name?
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Try a refractory supply or commercial boiler repair shop.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

The primary source for vermiculite boards is Jim Wiles at Southern Service company in Charlotte NC, 704-341-5577. There are different grades of boards, categorized by density (insulating value), and different manufacturers.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Bert Weiss wrote:The primary source for vermiculite boards is Jim Wiles at Southern Service company in Charlotte NC, 704-341-5577. There are different grades of boards, categorized by density (insulating value), and different manufacturers.
May I ask, which size and density is best to buy? T. Y.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

S.TImmerman wrote:May I ask, which size and density is best to buy? T. Y.
You usually want a higher density board, around 600. If you go much more than that, the price climbs quite a bit.

Last time I purchased from him, Jim didn't carry Skamol boards any longer. The European (German) board he does carry is metric, around 39" by 24", in various thicknesses (one inch or two inch is probably what you want). My experience has been that the German board is better than the Skamol.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

The lower the density, the greater the insulating value, and the lower the strength (read crumble prone). Screws work better in denser boards. So you need to pick a point where you balance strength, and insulating value.

Bullseye sells vermiculite boards that they deem worthy of holding screws. I forget exactly which one they use, but I'll guess it is the one in the middle.

Last I knew, Jim has access to both the Skamol and the German boards. He likes the German boards, but I have heard opinions that the Skamol is good for certain apps.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Bert Weiss wrote:Bullseye sells vermiculite boards that they deem worthy of holding screws. I forget exactly which one they use, but I'll guess it is the one in the middle.
Unless they've changed, Bullseye carries the 600. Specifically, Skamol's V-1100(600) board. The 600 refers to the density, which is 600kg per cubic meter (37.5 pounds per cubic foot). One board weighs around 19 pounds.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I've been using the Vermiculite (1") board from Bullseye for the past 7 or 8 years as a kilnshelf in my coffin kiln. (approx. 24" x 36"0). I purchased 2 at the time not knowing how long it would last. Here I am 8 years later having never had to put the 2nd one in service. It has proved to be an excellent product. I have raised it off the kiln floor with about 40 spacers (3/4" kiln shelf cut up blocks 2" sq.) NEVER WARPED!! I may cut the other one up to make casting boxes.
I recommend this product.
"The Glassman"
jolly

Post by jolly »

You will want the type of screw that has deep threads and a narrow shaft and not a 'wood screw'. You don't need strength so the shaft can be skinny. There are lots of these screws out there now, they used to be referred to as not needing to predrill.
There is more to life than increasing its speed.-Mahatma Gandhi
gemhuyck

Post by gemhuyck »

I want to thank everyone for helping. Sorry it took so long to say thank you, I have been out of the country for 3 weeks.