Coldworking/grinding leaded crystal?...

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Mia M

Coldworking/grinding leaded crystal?...

Post by Mia M »

Unfortunately, grinding the mold lines for my leaded crystal sculptures is a necessity, so it can't be avoided. My only choice seems to be to grind in a booth with an exhaust fan, wear a mask, and be as careful as possible. Any thoughts about leaded crystal coldworking and safety?...
Last edited by Mia M on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jolly

Re: Coldworking/grinding leaded crystal?...

Post by jolly »

I don't consider any glass dust to be safe for exposure to my lungs so I certainly wouldn't consider leaded glass to be safe. If it were me, I would use the same precautions as for any grinding of glass and then I would buy a lead testing kit -the EPA has some recommendation on which kits are best- and test the slurry to see if the lead is now a problem for disposal.
There is more to life than increasing its speed.-Mahatma Gandhi
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

There are a lot of variables here - how much available lead in the crystal, how much and how long you are grinding, how you are grinding, etc. My recommendation is to grind wet and wear a P100 respirator. Try to contain the dust and carefully clean your equipment when finished.

Greg, retired Certified Industrial Hygienist
Greg
Mia M

Post by Mia M »

Thank you, Jolly and Greg. I appreciate your comments and will try to follow your suggestions.