Iowa resources & some kiln supply & ring sawn questions

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

MarlaS

Iowa resources & some kiln supply & ring sawn questions

Post by MarlaS »

After a 15 year hiatus, nest now empty, best in-home studio space ever, I'm looking forward to getting back to all the glass stuff I've spent fortunes to move around the country while it's gathered dust.

A few questions in no particular order...

1. web resources - curious what are some folks favorite web resources for how-to's, other than this site of course (!) - just discovered a treasure-trove on YouTube for example...

2. Taurus 3 ring saw - Anyone here know anyone near Des Moines Iowa who sells, makes, and/or knows about glass & stuff? I have a taurus 3 ring saw with something broken such that ring keeps slipping out of place, and my now wasbund was my only means of getting it back on, and damned if i remain stumped by it... I will call manufacturer and see if i can get help via skype or something, but wanted to ask...

3. new kiln shelf supplier in Iowa, or Fiberboard - I have a jen-ken 28" hexagonal kiln that's been old faithful, 2 half shelves that limit size of what i can make without seams - any suggestions on how to make larger pieces that won't have seam marks down the middle? For example, for standard .25 or .5" pieces, can i just use some fiberboard across the shelves? ...and if so, what thickness? Any particular brand that's good or to avoid?

4. reminders of what I used to know - tips for applying various brands of shelf and mold primer to shelves, to molds, how long to fire, best application methods, etc. I have Bullseye brand and whatever the brand is that Brad was recommending when he first started teaching, and all the stuff I used to know bc I did it so often I never bothered to write it down is now long since forgotten...

Thanks very much,
Marla
AndyT

Re: Iowa resources & some kiln supply & ring sawn questions

Post by AndyT »

As for your T3....most likely the belt is bad. Stretched and just old. It's one of the most common parts to go bad and cause the blade to keep slipping off.
Marty

Re: Iowa resources & some kiln supply & ring sawn questions

Post by Marty »

#4- get Brad's book.
and #1 seems to be FB if you can stand it.