Paragon GL24 kiln roof element installation

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Mike Garvey

Paragon GL24 kiln roof element installation

Post by Mike Garvey »

I am working on a Paragon GL24 kiln and need to replace the top elements. The only way I can see to install the new ones is to insert them through the kiln wall from the outside at the location where the twisted terminal leads connect to the AC wiring. Anyone have any experience here?
Thanks, Mike
Mike Garvey

Re: Paragon GL24 kiln roof element installation

Post by Mike Garvey »

I successfully replaced the roof elements in the GL23; Paragon suggested I replace the entire kiln top. I didn't even ask for a quote but I note that their new website has a very useful collection of technical notes including a procedure for R&R if you do buy a new roof. Anyway, if you want to try this and don't have the $$$ to replace the entire roof, here is how I did it:
Remove the door (optional) and turn the kiln upside down so that you can work on the roof from above. Note that the firebrick are a bit fragile, so it is helpful to have a piece of plywood to rest your forearms on while you work to prevent localized pressure from breaking the firebrick. Remove a bit of the insulation (hacksaw blade) at the wall edge where the elements pass thru the wall (see photo). You need this additional room to remove and install the elements. A pair of 6" to 8" hemostats is useful (required) to remove and install the elements without unduly beating up the firebrick. Assuming you have to remove the old elements, cut them in segments with a Dremel abrasive wheel and carefully "worry" them out. With the elements out, make any necessary repairs to the fire brick so that when the new elements are installed, they won't fall out of the groove.
The new elements are inserted from the outside of the kiln; two people is almost a necessity here, one to feed the element from the outside and one to pull it into the groove. Plan for about an hour per element; if you're careful you can do this with essentially no damage to the fire brick. After the elements are installed connect the wiring in the usual manner.
BTW, I got the elements from Duralite; they are wonderful to deal with.
Attachments
P1000553m.JPG
Kevin Midgley

Re: Paragon GL24 kiln roof element installation

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Tighten the wires in the usual way:
Yes tighten the wires. Leave for a long period of time. Retighten the wires and repeat until you can no longer retighten the connections.
The copper will move during the above process and if not done can result in burning of connections and necessitate element replacement.