White spirit

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Jan de Jong

White spirit

Post by Jan de Jong »

I have some enamel paint which must be dissolved with White Spirit. When doing this ...is firing in a kiln still possible ?? Jan
jim simmons

Re: White spirit

Post by jim simmons »

I do not know what "white spirit is," but I don't see what the problem is if you wait until the mixture is dry.
The other Jim
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

@ Jim simmons: you make it difficult for me. Difficult die me to write in English language. I found in English Wikipedia What White Spirit is. In Holland we call it Terpentine.....in English Turpentine (?)
Can I fire this in my kiln ?? Jan
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

White spirits is the chemical equivalent to Turpentine, a natural tree sap. It's called Mineral Spirits in Oz. I've heard it referred to as Mineral Turpentine, too. Use it for cleaning house-painting brushes when you've used oil paint.

Don't use it on your Badger Blender! It's too harsh. Clean that with vegetable oil, then Baby Shampoo. I also use hair conditioner on mine. I've had it for EEK! over 30 years and it's as good as new.
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

@ buttercup: Thank you for this information. Please can you tell me if I can use Turpentine and fire in the kiln ? Jan
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

I use "mineral spirits" here in the U.S. as a cleaning agent for my glass before firing.
I also use it in my Toyo glass cutter as a lubricant.
The really good thing about it is that you do not have to do any more cleaning A gallon costs about $5.00 us and a gallon will last fore a LOOOOOONG time.
The other Jim
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Jan, I didn't comment on putting mineral spirits in the kiln because I've never done that. I do know it's highly flammable, even rags that have been used with mineral spirits, or Turpentine, remain highly flammable, even when they have dried ,so have to be immersed in water until safely disposed of.It's also not good to breathe so must be used in a well-ventilated space. Once the enamel has dried it may be possible to safely fire the glass with the lid initially vented, but I don't know.

If you experiment with a small painted piece, thoroughly dried, you could probably find out because there should not be any flammable components inside your kiln. Are you sure mineral spirits is the only medium you can use with your enamels? What brand are they? I have very little experience with enamels as I can't get those I want, R&G, in a small enough quantity not to last me 2-3 lifetimes. I have used Winsor & Newton Liquin with enamels. I've mostly used stainers.

Let us know how it goes.
P.S. The Liquin I have is the original.
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

@ Buttercup: Thanks ! I did ask for White Spirit and Turpentine, but I had better first look at the label on the Revell Email Paint ....I become afraid when I read that: Danger. Contains Hydrocarbons, C9-C11, n-alkanes, isoalkanes cyclics, 2% aromatics, 1-methoxypropan-2-pf phtalic, anhydride. Flammable liquid and vapor. May cause allergic or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties,if inhaled. May cause an allergic skin reaction. May cause drowsiness or dizzyness. Warning state of California: cancer birth defect etc.
So I wonder if I will use this product ??? What product can I use without danger: Enamel not dilutable in water ?? Jan from Holland
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Jan, I just wrote a long reply which I lost because I took a short cut to get a web address. without first saving the post. Essentially, the enamels you mention, Revell Enamels appear to be for cold painting by hobbyists on models etc. They are not suitable for kiln firing. There's a lot of information on the WGB. Look for posts by Don Burt and Bert Weiss who generously share a lot of information. There are a few posts by me, too, as well as others.

Do find a copy of Albinus Elskus' 'Painting and firing on glass'. It's been reprinted with expanded topics I think.

Look on-line for information from Thompson Enamels, Reusche and R&G, all of which should be available in Europe.

Here are two other sites:
https://www.glassarttools.com/blogs/out ... e-pigments

I've used this method and quite liked it but it takes a while to dry. The Liquin is quick drying. I've not seen anyone else recommend it but it works for me as does the traditional gum arabic method.

http://jkennethleap.blogspot.com/p/guid ... ments.html

There's a lot of information available on-line. You don't have to experiment with unsuitable products.

Edit. Here's another site with a lot of information, including videos.
https://www.realglasspainting.com/
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

With Liquin it dries hard quickly. Put the paint precisely where you want it and jump back. Don't use it for matting or subtractive painting. Stick to traditional gum arabic for that.
Jan de Jong

Post by Jan de Jong »

@ Buttercup: Thank you so much for your answers !!
I go reading your suggestions and see what I can use.Jan