thermal shock issues

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Michael Stevens

thermal shock issues

Post by Michael Stevens »

I've been using the same firing schedules for similar projects all year, but lately things are cracking in. half.

I had a 12 inch 6mm piece I was slumping. I made same thing last week and it slumped fine. lastnight I did another one but when opened kiln this morning it was brokej in half.

my firing schedule is basically 5 hours to get to 520 degrees c. then rest then slowly ramp until 680.
. not near my computer to write the exact schedule.

but I'm. wondering why same project cracked today but didn't last week.

could the kiln need recalibrate.

also I noticed during cool downs it reduces temperature from 800 degrees to 300 degrees in about 4 hours but takes 10 more hours to get to 50 degrees. is there a reason it's not cooling more consistent.

it used to hold temperatures more evenly. I didn't need to anneal before because it stayed at 500 degrees range for 2 hours on its own. but now if I don't anneal around 510- 520 it cracks also.

I'm. not sure if there is an insulation issue, a heating calibration issue, if it's the heating element, therkal couple, the programmer. just seems strange that the same schedules I've used for 2 years don't work anymore
Kevin Midgley

Re: thermal shock issues

Post by Kevin Midgley »

you have heat loss issues. Somewhere in that kiln you have a draft of cool air getting inside is my thought.
Check your kiln. I may suggest the following may help.
Get a really bright battery operated light. Put it inside your cold non running kiln in a blacked out room and look for light escaping anywhere.
Michael Stevens

Because it also has problems on heat up. I thought could be the coils, or thermocouple might be off if annealing at wrong temperature. also noticed some cracking in the refractory mud holding firebricks together
Michael Stevens

Kevin thanks for that. I don't see any external light but there might be cracks in. the insulation and the metal exterior covers the night but heat distribution might be affected. I appreciate your insights