Frit colouring

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Jon Markovic

Frit colouring

Post by Jon Markovic »

I have been wondering about making coloured frit inexpensively from float glass.
I've read that the pigments in alcohol inks will not withstand firing termperatues, but have wondered whether shaking frit pieces in enamel stirred through a liquid medium to coat the frit could work, or whether there another colourant that is less expensive than enamels.
Perhaps home made fine ground glass dust? (which I am guessing is what coloured enamels are)
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Don Burt

Re: Frit colouring

Post by Don Burt »

The term 'enamels' is used for a number of different products. Things that are called 'enamels' can be transparent or opaque. Can require a low (1050°F) firing or a higher (>1300°F) firing. It's conceivable to color float frit with enamels. But I don't understand why you would want to. Why not just apply the enamels to sheet glass and then fire it? Or paint enamel onto the frit after it has been fired onto the glass substrate? You can also apply enamels and cap them with sheet glass. Mixing frit with enamel intended to color the frit cheaply seems futile to me. The frit would no longer be uniform and easy to manipulate. There is a commercial equivalent to what you're asking: They're not cheap. They have a reputation of being unreliable in compatibility with our glass. But people use them: https://thompsonenamel.com/wp-content/u ... namels.jpg
Jon Markovic

Post by Jon Markovic »

Thanks Don.
The reason for my interest is because I have access to some float glass, and stained glass bought for making copper foiled panels- and was hoping to find ways to use these materials up in my new warm glass hobby.
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Hi Jon. The questions about fusing stained glass have been frequent. If you enter "fusing stained glass" in the search box at the upper right of the screen, you may find the information you need. Information about float glass can be obtained the same way. Good luck.
Lynn Perry