Wanted - 1/4 inch Thick Clear Plate Glass - WarmGlass.com

Wanted - 1/4 inch Thick Clear Plate Glass

This is for posting advertisements to buy and sell products or services, or to announce job openings or searches. All posts must be approved prior to display.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Goldfinger

Wanted - 1/4 inch Thick Clear Plate Glass

Postby Goldfinger » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:26 am

Hello Everyone.

Been a long time since I've been on this forum.

My project involves polishing agate slabs by hand. Having them sent out to a lapidary is very expensive so I'm going to try and do it by hand.

I'd like to see if anyone here has a piece of 1/4 inch thick, 8" by 8" square piece of clear glass plate they aren't using and will to sell. This will be used as a base for the various grits used to polish the slabs. Payment via Paypal.

Please PM me if you have something.

Thanks

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Wanted - 1/4 inch Thick Clear Plate Glass

Postby Brad Walker » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:36 am

This is the kind of thing that any local regular glass shop would carry. Shouldn't be hard to find locally.

If you're thinking you can polish the agates by using loose silicon carbide grit on the float glass slab, be aware that bringing the agates to a shine take more than that. You'll most likely need pumice or cerium oxide and a LOT of elbow grease.

Goldfinger

Postby Goldfinger » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:02 am

Brad.

I know it's not going to be an easy project but I'm retired and have a lot of time on my hands.

I contacted a couple glass places already and no one has it in stock but can be special ordered with delivery in 2 to 3 weeks.

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Postby Brad Walker » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:15 am

Goldfinger wrote:I contacted a couple glass places already and no one has it in stock but can be special ordered with delivery in 2 to 3 weeks.

Surprised they wouldn't stock it. Do you have a used office furniture place near you? They would carry glass shelves for store fixtures, which would work.

You could probably do this without the glass with sandpaper and a polishing compound. https://www.ehow.com/how_8444669_polish-agate-hand.html

Goldfinger

Postby Goldfinger » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:49 am

Thanks for the link Brad!!! I'll be able to get started on that tomorrow.

Return to “Buy and sell”