A retro piece for the older folks

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

The Hobbyist

A retro piece for the older folks

Post by The Hobbyist »

This piece was inspired by Cynthia Oliver's Mosaiks. Her's are relaxed and artistic whereas this is tight and anal retentive. (We all have our talents. haha)

I had forgotten, but others say it is very like the 50's "modern".

The Hobbyist...............................Jim

Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

This is beautiful Jim - you did a fantastic job. I love it!

Jackie
Bert Weiss

Re: A retro piece for the older folks

Post by Bert Weiss »

Jim Wolverton wrote:This piece was inspired by Cynthia Oliver's Mosaiks. Her's are relaxed and artistic whereas this is tight and anal retentive. (We all have our talents. haha)

I had forgotten, but others say it is very like the 50's "modern".

The Hobbyist...............................Jim

Love it Jim. I have some little glass mosaic tables from the 50's. Sometimes the simple designs can be stunning.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I can't stop looking at this Jim - I just came back to it a second time. I love the subtle variations in your turquoise color, and the placement of the whites, and especially the faint black background lines, as well as the pattern. You've done such a nice job. I've done lots of mosaic bowls (usually with a million colors) and they never have turned out as nice as this. I did one once with white squares - (same size squares as you've used here, it seems) on a black base, and it was fine, but not nearly as mesmorizing as this piece of yours. And I agree that it has that timeless, classic, unbeatable "50's Modern" look to it. Once again - great job!

Jackie
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Cool! I like the colors and the sort of three sections that flow into each other and the shape. Well I guess I like it all then! Great job!
Amy
Dani

Post by Dani »

Jim, you nut! This kind of work is what the college kids are after.... not us old dawgs! Very nice... now market it to the right crowd for cheers and great success! LOL.
lissa

Post by lissa »

Yeah, I've been back to look at this piece four times now, really cool! You have patience and a steady hand, not to mention an excellent sense of design. Super neat!

lissa.
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Jim, Just how old do you have to be to like this piece anyway? Great job !!!

Jon
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Jim, I really like it ! Did you plan this our on paper first or did you just start cuttin and fittin?

Randy
The Hobbyist

Thanks and answers

Post by The Hobbyist »

Thanks everyone for the nice words. I did not intend this to be a retro piece. I was trying to make an Cynthia Oliver Mosaik and failed. Except for the base clear it is made from scraps. My first layout had a single meander across the triangle and I was planning on large white intrusions from the sides. I didn't have enough white so I started over.

The piece has a base of clear glass which I cut to the size and shape of the mold I used for the slump. Next time I'll make it bigger. When I started applying tiles and got to the edges the tiles were often mere fragments and I had to make them so that (a) they reached the edge enough to leave some glass to grind before the second fuse but (b) if they are too big they might fall off and the piece will fuse up will gaps in the edge...a serious NO-NO. I worked hard and was lucky. All the edges stayed in position and became solidly tack fused to the base. A couple tilted but it worked out OK. Then I ground off the extra edge material as planned. I brushed in the black powder and fused it again. Then slumped it.

Jackie, The different blues and whites are because they're iridized and that's different parts of the rainbow. The white dispersal was difficult because I wanted a seemingly random look and, as a Mathematician, I know it's hard to achieve randomness.

Randy, I did not draw it out or plan it on paper. The final version started with one triangular tile in the center and grew. I did three stripes of tiles out to the corners and then spent a couple days filling in the spaces.

Jon, My guess you need to be about 55 to have experienced 50's Moderne. I'm well past that. haha

Dani, Remember, I'm still just a hobbyist. haha This one's a keeper. I will, no doubt, have to make a few more for friends/family. I hope I can do another.

Thanks again everyone.........................Jim
Bert Weiss

Re: Thanks and answers

Post by Bert Weiss »

Jim Wolverton wrote: Jon, My guess you need to be about 55 to have experienced 50's Moderne. I'm well past that. haha

Thanks again everyone.........................Jim
Jim

I'm 53 but my parents were in to 50's modern. I have the Noguchi/Herman Miller coffee table from my childhood living room. (actually it was in my parents living room until they dissolved their household, last year, and I got it.)

You piece is reminiscent of pieces made by Vennini in Venice, Italy. They cast sheets using Murrinni's, and slumped them in to simple shapes. The Murrinni's are sections of round canes that are cut to a uniform thickness and fused together. It has been several years since I have seen those pieces, so all I have in my mind is a feeling about them and your piece elisits that same feeling.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Melodie

Post by Melodie »

Jim,

This is a fantastic piece as well as the other new one you have. Can't decide which one I want you to send me. Haha Great job!

Melodie
twinkler2

krazy kool

Post by twinkler2 »

Hi jim

I love this piece :) Great shape and colors
I love retro
I mosaic'ed before I started glass fusing. I've done a couple of pieces with the mosaic idea but never thought of changing the main shape....very kool

Kindly
Me Kim
rodney

Post by rodney »

excellent :D

rodney
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Jim: this piece is beautiful! I really love it!
Kim
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Jim: this piece is beautiful! I really love it!
Kim