first sand cast project

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Bert Weiss

first sand cast project

Post by Bert Weiss »

Sand cast using 100/120 mesh olivine sand and plaster of paris.

Lots of fun messing around with this very direct method of patterning. The pattern was made with a jar lid.

Base by Peter Happny, blacksmith
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

Very nice Bert. Where did you get the olvine sand? I've looked around and I can't seem to find it.

Rob
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Cool! Did you make it for someone? I'm thinking whoever it is does not have cats (I'm picturing one of mine pouncing on one end and flipping it)...or is it very heavy?
Amy
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Rob Morey wrote:Very nice Bert. Where did you get the olvine sand? I've looked around and I can't seem to find it.

Rob
Rob

Olivine sand is used by metal foundries, so I went to a foundry supply house.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:Cool! Did you make it for someone? I'm thinking whoever it is does not have cats (I'm picturing one of mine pouncing on one end and flipping it)...or is it very heavy?
Amy
Amy

it is made with 3/8" glass (10mm) for a friend who is single with no pets or kids. She has a healing collar bone and asked me for a light weight coffee table with some color.

It is pretty stable relative to cats. It has been set up in my living room for the weekend. I have a 95 lb dog and 2 cats and a hyper visiting dog and there have been no problems.

If it would get knocked around, I'd probably suggest siliconing it down with a few dabs around the base.

I might have made it with heavier glass if she hadn't ask for it to be light, probably 2 layers of 1/4".
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Bert.

Nice piece... it's very "you".

Was your olivine sand and plaster laid out dry? Also, did you get any sticking?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: first sand cast project

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Bert Weiss wrote:Image

Sand cast using 100/120 mesh olivine sand and plaster of paris.

Lots of fun messing around with this very direct method of patterning. The pattern was made with a jar lid.

Base by Peter Happny, blacksmith
Looks good nice n shiny

Is that how it came out

Best tho is the

Jar Lid Text n Go

Brian
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Tony Smith wrote:Bert.

Nice piece... it's very "you".

Was your olivine sand and plaster laid out dry? Also, did you get any sticking?

Tony
In my normal style, I looked around and saw that I had some strips of 10mm glass, so I laid out 2 on each side to dam the dry mix and screeded it flat with another piece of glass.

When the mold was set, I dusted it with plaster. There was no sticking.

I bought some aluminum oxide in the same grit as the olivine and tested it straight with no plaster when I first got home. It stuck. I think the same technique of mixing plaster in and dusting it would work with the aluminum.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Bert Weiss

Re: first sand cast project

Post by Bert Weiss »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote: Looks good nice n shiny

Is that how it came out

Best tho is the

Jar Lid Text n Go

Brian
10mm doesn't devit when fired at my regular schedules. This piece was fired to 1380 with an hour soak and came out with a nice surface.

The MR 16 lights in my living room do a real nice job of highlighting the textured glass. After all what we are really making is sparkle. Glass is just a medium to get to the sparkle.

The technique is really "grab n go" If your shop is as cluttered as mine there are plenty of "things" around to make textures. The scrub brush made a good one. A piece of flat glass at 45º makes a great one.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Jane

Post by Jane »

Bert,

All I have to say is, VERY COOL!

Jane
rodney

Post by rodney »

numero ono, excellente, FIVE STARS

thanks for posting the pic and sharing the info
rodney
Carol

Post by Carol »

Fabulous Bert. Now I can see why you're so excited about sand casting!

Carol
John

Post by John »

Bert, I haven't been around for a while, logged on and TAAA DAAA, some very impressive sand casting. A great looking table. 10 points from me.

John

ps I'll have to work out how to post my pics.
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Woo-Hoo Bert. I can see where you're heading............... Nice texture!
rodney

Post by rodney »

did you get this piece tempered,,,is there a rule on what to temper and what not to temper,,,,when it comes to tempering glass, does the thickness matter,,,,thanks bert, and keep up the experiments, and PLEASSSE KEEP THEM PICS A COMIN

thanks
rodney
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

rodney wrote:did you get this piece tempered,,,is there a rule on what to temper and what not to temper,,,,when it comes to tempering glass, does the thickness matter,,,,thanks bert, and keep up the experiments, and PLEASSSE KEEP THEM PICS A COMIN

thanks
rodney
Rodney

I could have had this piece tempered from a technical standpoint, but I don't believe in tempering table tops unless they have to be drilled.

The edge of tempered glass is vulnerable to popping the whole piece. I would prefer a chip to a pile of broken glass.

You can temper any thickness of glass as long as the machine is designed to do that thickness. My company's machine has a door that opens 1" but they like to stop at 1/2" thick glass. The thicker the glass, the less air is needed to temper it though. Thin glass is actually a bigger task for the machine.

Oh yeah, you can't temper fused glass. There must be zero bubbles in the sheet for tempering to work.

I like to follow the lead of industry. There are plenty of annealed glass 3/4" thick tables on the market.

Architects tend to specify tempered glass because they think they are being smart, however they are just ignorant of the real characteristics of the material. If you must use safety glass, use Laminated.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Lisa W.

Post by Lisa W. »

Bert,
What a great piece. Could it be done with just the dry plaster?
I do not have a kiln that big but have been damming up dry plaster and doing smaller pieces, with 2---1/4".
Lisa W
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Bert Weiss wrote:asked me for a light weight coffee table with some color.
I thought it was clear?? Is it the picture? Now that I look more closely...is there some flecks of color in it or is it just a subtle shade?
Amy
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:
Bert Weiss wrote:asked me for a light weight coffee table with some color.
I thought it was clear?? Is it the picture? Now that I look more closely...is there some flecks of color in it or is it just a subtle shade?
Amy
Amy

There are flecks of color. I normally get more involved with a painting, but I felt that the texture was making the big statement so I kept the color accents to a minimum. They are dotted all over though, teal, red purple, and black (to match the couch, yeech)
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Lisa W. wrote:Bert,
What a great piece. Could it be done with just the dry plaster?
I do not have a kiln that big but have been damming up dry plaster and doing smaller pieces, with 2---1/4".
Lisa W
Lisa

You can try dry plaster. I mix it with alumina hydrate and diatomaceous earth. I used this mix for a long time, It was mostly alumina.

Larger particles are stronger relative to not smooshing down when the glass is placed on top of the powders.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*