Todays Pot Melt

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Randy W

Todays Pot Melt

Post by Randy W »

Here is another pot melt. This time I used equal parts of Spectrum clear and yellow opal with a few small strips of black.
(click on link below)
http://users.wi.net/~magnum/Yellow/111.JPG
I used 44 0unces of glass and ended up with an 11-1/4" diameter disk. Or is it disc :?:
I need to get these started a earlier in the day. The kiln is still cooling down when I go to bed and I've woken up and 5:30 AM the past two mornings and I just "HAVE" to go out and take a peek. I'm ready for a nap already.
Can I post more than one picture in a posting?
Randy
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

:roll: Randy,
Thank you so much for sharing. I really have been enjoying your posts. I have not tired a pot melt. They look like a lot of fun, and I like the results. Have you slumped these into a mold yet. If so how did that go. What thickness do they end up? .......Claudia
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

You should try it, it's not that hard and I don't think you could mess anything up. Fill a clean flower pot with glass and fire away. Experiment with scrap first. I take it up to 1625° and held for about and hour. Then annealed as normal. They come out 1/4" thick when done.

I haven't slumped them yet. I have to grind them round and the motor on my grinder stopped working. :cry: I'll let you know when they're done.

Randy
dave laporta

Post by dave laporta »

Randy- very cool stuff. I think I have to try this. Questions- do you use kiln wash or fiber paper on your shelf? And do you get anything stuck to the glass as a result of that temp?- Dave
Joy

Post by Joy »

I can't get the link to work :( What am I doing wrong?

Joy
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

I just use kiln wash. 12 coats of kiln wash, and most of it sticks to the back of the piece but comes off with a little scrubbing.

Randy
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Second Picture
Bert Weiss

links don't work

Post by Bert Weiss »

links don't work for me
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Joy

Post by Joy »

I see it now! That's so beautiful! How high off the kiln shelf is the drop? You get nice swirling. I tried it once so far, but I didn't have it high enough and didn't get the mixing.
-Joy
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

4 - 5/8" above the shelf.

5/8" thick strips of a cut up kiln shelf resting on 4" kiln posts. I think varying the height will change the tightness of the swirling. Need to do more tests.

Randy
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

What I think is even more interesting than the surface of a pot melt is the cross section. Try cutting strips and from the potmelt.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

GASP!!! :shock: Cut it into strips? But it looks so cool the way it is. But you're probably right, I bet it does look cool inside too. Back to the lab for more experiments :twisted: (diabolical laughter)

Dr. Frit-enstein
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I am also not seeing the picture. :shock: <-- that's me trying to see the picture Can you post the link again?
-A
Riverviewglass

Post by Riverviewglass »

:?: I can't see the picture either and the disc (?) sounds great! please try to repost.
thanks - Kim K
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Randy Mad Scientist, excellent looking results! Kitty.
Laurie Young

Post by Laurie Young »

sorry to be a pain, but none of the links work for me- just get something saying page is expired - any other way to post them?
Heidi

Re: Todays Pot Melt

Post by Heidi »

I could view your link to the earlier /Melt/PotDrop.JPG just fine but I can't get these links to work either.

Very frustrating 'cause I wanna see! I think your pot drops are wonderful and I wish I had a kiln deep enough to try it.

Keep the pix coming, please.

Thanks,
Heidi
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

I don't know why, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I tried my file transfer program today and I keep getting "connection error" messages. I'm technically challenged and I can't get a hold of my computer knowledgeable friend. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Randy
Michael McNerney

Post by Michael McNerney »

Randy,
Have you ever tried fiberpaper?
I was wondering if the glass will spread as evenly on the paper
Michael