Another box design, with a twist.

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Ron Coleman

Another box design, with a twist.

Post by Ron Coleman »

A new fused box design. This one has no texture from sand, it was fused freestanding on a kiln shelf. Just a light sandblasted finish to soften the colors.

Ron
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Very cool, Ron. Was this one fused together like your red one from WGBE and a couple others you've posted? Or is it glued?

Jackie
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

It's fused.

Ron
PDXBarbara

Lovely

Post by PDXBarbara »

Ron, it's so lovely! If you made it freestanding on the shelf... was your process similar to making, say, a large & wide bracelet (looking at the opening) with a lid & floor?
Love it.
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Ooooo, that's mighty cool, Ron. The colors are so soft and beautiful. Lisa :lol:
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Ron Coleman

Re: Lovely

Post by Ron Coleman »

PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:Ron, it's so lovely! If you made it freestanding on the shelf... was your process similar to making, say, a large & wide bracelet (looking at the opening) with a lid & floor?
Love it.
Barbara
The sides, 3 pieces,were slumped to shape first and then fused to the bottom piece. The top is separate. There are three open slots in the sides.

Ron
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Hey Ron, it looks pretty thick, could you share your annealing schedule?

Ron Coleman wrote:
PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:Ron, it's so lovely! If you made it freestanding on the shelf... was your process similar to making, say, a large & wide bracelet (looking at the opening) with a lid & floor?
Love it.
Barbara
The sides, 3 pieces,were slumped to shape first and then fused to the bottom piece. The top is separate. There are three open slots in the sides.

Ron
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Melodie

Post by Melodie »

I really love the unique design and colors. Great job!

Melodie
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

All the pieces are 1/4 thick, but because of the unusual shape I annealed for 90 min at 960 f and then a 3 hour cool to 750 f and then kiln off. There was no peeking until it was cool.

Ron
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

What a fabulous piece. It immediately invokes a carousel in my mind, since I'm old enough to remember them.

Why don't the sides fall in when you fuse the assembly? I thought that was why you had to do these in sand.

One of you superb tutorials would be greatly appreciated by this amateur and probably many others.

PLEASE.................................G'pa Jim[/img]
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Ron, it is wonderful. Like Jim, my brain is tantalized by your ability to overcome the force of gravity. You just keep on testing the limits, pushing them further and further out!

Congratulations!
Barbara

p.s. that is the box you promised me, isn't it??? :twisted:
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Ron, I too see a carousel, the colors are a lot of what I have seen on them. You just continue to
to amaze, me with your talent and perfection. I love the bottom of it ,it adds so much.
Good Job!!...Claudia
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Jim Wolverton wrote:What a fabulous piece. It immediately invokes a carousel in my mind, since I'm old enough to remember them.

Why don't the sides fall in when you fuse the assembly? I thought that was why you had to do these in sand.

One of you superb tutorials would be greatly appreciated by this amateur and probably many others.

PLEASE.................................G'pa Jim[/img]
The elves have been busy in the research lab recently and they added some new controls to the kiln. I'm still trying to figure out all the adjustments, maybe you can shed some light on the subject.

Experimental Boy :roll:
Paul Tarlow

Re: Another box design, with a twist.

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Ron Coleman wrote:A new fused box design. This one has no texture from sand, it was fused freestanding on a kiln shelf. Just a light sandblasted finish to soften the colors.

Ron
Okay, stop it Ron -- or none of us will even bother entering anything in WG@BE III.

- Paul
Ron Coleman

Re: Another box design, with a twist.

Post by Ron Coleman »

Paul Tarlow wrote:
Ron Coleman wrote:A new fused box design. This one has no texture from sand, it was fused freestanding on a kiln shelf. Just a light sandblasted finish to soften the colors.

Ron
Okay, stop it Ron -- or none of us will even bother entering anything in WG@BE III.

- Paul
Don't give up too soon Paul, I'm still trying to figure out how you made the snake. :wink:

Ron
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hey Ron,

Another lovely project. are the curved sides fused to the base , or are they slumped and then "cold-laminated" to the base?

Lovely subtle colours. I didn't see carousels.... I saw a Tibetan tent... or perhaps an upscale igloo... it hit -30C here on the weekend. You guys are worried about anealing cycles. I am more concerned with the thawing cycle.

Cheers

Bob
Dawn Stevenson

Post by Dawn Stevenson »

ok, now I know for sure I'll be learning to fuse stuff after I get a kiln. That is just gorgeous!!!!

Dawn
glass.dragonshadows.net
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Bob wrote:Hey Ron,

Another lovely project. are the curved sides fused to the base , or are they slumped and then "cold-laminated" to the base?

Lovely subtle colours. I didn't see carousels.... I saw a Tibetan tent... or perhaps an upscale igloo... it hit -30C here on the weekend. You guys are worried about anealing cycles. I am more concerned with the thawing cycle.

Cheers

Bob
Thanks Bob, the colors come from frit, clear and lacy white BE. The inside surface has an interesting look too. I had trouble deciding which side to turn out.

The sides were slumped and than coldworked for square edges and then it was all fused together.

Thirty below.........., that's just light jacket weather in Canada isn't it? We haven't been hearing much from the global warming people this winter, maybe their calculators are frozen. :lol:

Ron
Carolyn Ledbetter

Post by Carolyn Ledbetter »

The piece is stunning. I want one. What did you do to keep the sides from sagging while they fused to the bottom section?

You want global warming! - it's been in the mid to high 80's and muggy for weeks here in South Florida. The big kilns are taking twice as long to cool down. The A/C is on in the house and car. I would gladly trade places to cool off a bit.