test of post

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

jim simmons

test of post

Post by jim simmons »

This is a test, It is only a test. If it had been a real post a pic would have shown up.

Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Hi Jim,
No photo as you say, please try again..... :cry: .....Claudia
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

It's testing isn't it. - haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Jim, Needs to be a .jpg extension (or .tif or something like that). Without an extension, you won't get the photo to show up on the board (that's a trick that Yahoo often uses because they don't like you stealing -- or is it borrowing? -- their bandwidth on other sites).
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Claudia Whitten wrote:Hi Jim,
No photo as you say, please try again..... :cry: .....Claudia

Jim, Needs to be a .jpg extension (or .tif or something like that). Without an extension, you won't get the photo to show up on the board (that's a trick that Yahoo often uses because they don't like you stealing -- or is it borrowing? -- their bandwidth on other sites).
Brad
I don't understand. It had a .jpg extension, and when I click on the posting, the pic is there.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

jim simmons wrote:I don't understand. It had a .jpg extension, and when I click on the posting, the pic is there.
The reason you see the picture is that it's already stored in your browser from previous viewings. If you clear your browser's cache and then try, you may not be able to see it. You may also have an issue with permissions that would allow you to see it but not others -- when I enter just your url in my browser, I either get a 403 Forbidden error or a file not found error (depending on which browser I use!).

The full url for the photo (as shown by right clicking properties on the dead link) is: http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/3f8f1730_9 ... ABaqhkvfxK That has no jpg extension at the end. If I take the gobbydegook after the ? away, then I still don't see the photo, perhaps because of the permissions problem mentioned above.

About all I know for sure is that Yahoo actively tries to prevent this sort of thing, and we've found in the past that some browsers can see it and some can't.
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Jim, check out some of these free picture hosting sites.
http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-image-hosting.php

I haven't used any of them, I went and paid for Picturetrail. They have a free trial but that can also be a pain for some people to get others to see. It's pretty much updating Image/URL in Other Options and copy and paste the URL. Like Yahoo, but not the same problems.
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Brad, how complicated and expensive would it be for you to offer picture hosting? It would sure make posting a picture a LOT easier.
A couple of other sites I belong to have picture hosting and the costs are covered through donations.
Just a thought.
Thanks for a great site and happy fourth aniversary.

Randy
When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Randy Wesner wrote:Brad, how complicated and expensive would it be for you to offer picture hosting? It would sure make posting a picture a LOT easier.
A couple of other sites I belong to have picture hosting and the costs are covered through donations.
Just a thought.
Thanks for a great site and happy fourth aniversary.
Well, it's not that hard for me to do, and it probably wouldn't cost me much more in server fees, but the real cost would likely be the time I would have to spend answering questions from people who are having trouble uploading photos. Let me see what's involved and perhaps we'll try it for a while and see if it can operate without too much of my time. [Believe it or not, I already spend quite a bit of time dealing with folks who are having trouble registering or logging in (forgotten user names, can't figure out which button to click, etc.), I'd hate to add too much to that workload.]
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Becca wrote:Jim, check out some of these free picture hosting sites.

e URL. Like Yahoo, but not the same problems.
I do use webshots, but they have the same problem.
you have to explicity enter the url.
Jim
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Becca wrote:Jim, check out some of these free picture hosting sites.
I do use webshots, but they have the same problem. Yiou have to explicitly enter the picture url.
Jim
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Brad Walker wrote:
jim simmons wrote:I
The full url for the photo (as shown by right clicking properties on the dead link) is: http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/3f8f1730_9 ... ABaqhkvfxK That has no jpg extension at the end. If I take the gobbydegook after the ? away, then I still don't see the photo, perhaps because of the permissions problem mentioned above.
I just made the site Public. I didn't think I had to do that

Jiim
lauren

Post by lauren »

well it's a bit nerdy, and beyond me how to program it (not that familiar with ASP) but you can create a webpage on this site where people can upload pics onto the warmglass server themselves. it'd be very simple, i would imagine it would be pretty close to 0 maintenance....all the pics would be uploaded to a certain directory, so everyone's picture would be http://www.warmglass.com/pictures/myfilename.jpg or whatever. it's kinda like a dumbed down ftp. anyway's, here's a (badly written/explained) tutorial of how to do what i'm talking about. we wouldn't need the image editing section..it's a general idea of what i'm talking about. i think it could work well. http://www.webreference.com/dev/upload/htmlfile.html