Uranium Glass Tests

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Gale aka artistefem

Uranium Glass Tests

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Here are images of the uranium glass samples that I tested.

You're looking at pieces of uncut sheet and a small piece of three layers of fused sheet. I fired the 3 layers twice. The first firing was to a fire polish with no color change. the glass retained it's bright yellow-green color. The second firing of this same 3 layer piece was to a full fuse and as you can see the glass did strike to a whitish-yellow. A color which is not unpleasing.

1. Transmitted light. The edges of this glass have a strong yellow green color.
2. Reflected light. Appears milky.
3. Fused piece with strong back lighting.
4. Fused piece set on reflective aluminum with strong overhead lighting 4 feet away from glass.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/artistefem/l ... view=t[url][/url]
Bert Weiss

Re: Uranium Glass Tests

Post by Bert Weiss »

Gale aka artistefem wrote:Here are images of the uranium glass samples that I tested.

You're looking at pieces of uncut sheet and a small piece of three layers of fused sheet. I fired the 3 layers twice. The first firing was to a fire polish with no color change. the glass retained it's bright yellow-green color. The second firing of this same 3 layer piece was to a full fuse and as you can see the glass did strike to a whitish-yellow. A color which is not unpleasing.

1. Transmitted light. The edges of this glass have a strong yellow green color.
2. Reflected light. Appears milky.
3. Fused piece with strong back lighting.
4. Fused piece set on reflective aluminum with strong overhead lighting 4 feet away from glass.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/artistefem/l ... view=t[url][/url]
Gale

Lots of different looks for one glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Gale aka artistefem

Yes..........it's a very interesting multi-face, multi-use glass and when you look at it under a black light, it becomes even more interesting. Intense bright glowing green. Takes me back to my daze in the 60's-LOL!

My husband -god love him- sent a glow in the dark toilet seat to our son-in-law for Christmas. Don't ask - it's a guy bonding thing............

Our son -in-law also collects paintings on velvet. His latest kitsch art aquisition is a full rig semi-truck painted on velvet (2.5ft x 5ft) with plug-in running lights poking through the velvet. Very ni-e-e-e-e-ce.

I now know what to give for the next gift giving - hand-made glass glow in the dark matching bathroom accoutrement. Good news is with all the glowing going on in the bathroom, for those midnight runs to the potty - you would never miss the seat again or fall through when the seat is up! :shock:

Lordy, this could be a whole new niche in glass object making - LOL!
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

And the question I must ask is your KILN now GLOWING?????? Colin
Gale aka artistefem

LOL......nah - not yet, but my kiln goddess is radiating - looking kind of peaked and green.

Wonder how many firings of this stuff my kiln will take before it starts levitating ------- & glowing? :roll: :roll: