Combing with Reactives

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Sharol

Re: Combing with Reactives

Post by Sharol »

Certainly safety is of primary concern to me. This rake was designed specifically for me, my kiln and my working environment.
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

Thank you for the photo. I am not sure if the long wooden handled barbecue fork will work or not, but I thought I'd try. Do you spray it with anything to lessen the chances of glass sticking to it? I thought I'd try it on a SS cookie sheet with glass on it. I'd spray the sheet with boron nitrate for a release and the fork, too, if that is what one does. I'm excited to have this information now. Thank you for helping me.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Keep a container of water nearby. As the stainless heats up, the glass starts to stick to it. So... put your tool in water, tap the tool on the side of the container to get the water off, then open the lid to start combing. Work with the glass until it starts to stick, dip the tool in water to cool, and work some more. At some point the glass stiffens too much to work with, so you close the lid and bring up the temp again. If the glass sticks to the tool, just raise the tool from the surface of the glass, then twist the tool to break off the glass.

Make sure to: have on long cotton pants and long-sleeved cotton shirt, hi-temp gloves, eye protection, good shoes. I put a head lamp on directed downward toward the glass, which helps you to better see the design in the glass (your strips/elements for combing and what you have already combed) when everything is all red and glowing :)

I was combing in shorts the other day (duh) and my legs got kinda hot :mrgreen: .

Dana
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Nix the cookie sheet and BN. Work directly on a freshly kiln washed shelf. Some people place the glass on fiber paper (not thin fire), but I do not care for the resulting texture. Wear only all natural fiber clothing ( cotton, wool, etc.), closed toed shoes and long pants. Don't scrimp on choosing appropriate gloves and face protection. There are video tutorials on line that are helpful, such as the one that Patty Gray did with Spectrum Glass.

I strongly recommend you do your homework before trying this technique and also that you have someone with you during your first go at it. Reaching into a kiln at combing temperatures can be thrilling, but also dangerous and very unforgiving. Scary things can happen very quickly.

PM me if you have specifics questions I can help you with.

Sharol