A triptych

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Havi

A triptych

Post by Havi »

In Summer this year I made a triptych, which is being exhibited at the Eretz Israel Museum in Tel Aviv, in a group exhibition of Israeli Glass Artists.
The curator saw the lower piece and asked me to make 2 more of this - which I did.
She named it "Tunnels of Blood"

At that time we were in the war, at the south of Israel....

I hope you like it,
צילום צביקה.jpg
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Bert Weiss

Re: A triptych

Post by Bert Weiss »

Well done Havi. Art is a better communicator than words...
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

Havi, these are such a new direction which I would follow as they are excellent and I wish I could see them in person. =D> I love the idea of creating 2 more to go with the first panel. What a journey you must have taken to create this wonderful piece of art glass. =D> Stay Safe and think of you often. Les
Give out Free Hugs!
Marty

Post by Marty »

The exhibit in person is stunning, with only a couple of blah pieces.
Havi's work is very strong, almost disturbing, and goes back to her roots as a printmaker (imho). I'm not fond of the title though, it's too obvious.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Art is in the eye of the beholder and probably the wrong interpretation but what I see in the piece because of the too obvious title, is a distraught palestinian at the top spilling blood in their tunnels with a swastika overpowering all.
Rather nasty imagery imho.
I''d be ashamed to show it as it is with the current framing which forms that possibly unintended swastika.
Perhaps you did not see it before?
Warren Weiss

Post by Warren Weiss »

Art is in the eye of the beholder and probably the wrong interpretation but what I see in the piece because of the too obvious title, is a distraught palestinian at the top spilling blood in their tunnels with a swastika overpowering all.
Rather nasty imagery imho.
I''d be ashamed to show it as it is with the current framing which forms that possibly unintended swastika.
Perhaps you did not see it before?
In the eye of the beholder. I looked at it from every angle and could not find a swastika. I see it as Palestinian tunnels into Israel to capture or kill unsuspecting people, bleeding.

Warren
Havi

Post by Havi »

Dear friends,
Thanks a lot for your criticism, and special thanks to Marty whom I appreciate very much, who encouraged me to put this on WGBB.
The central imagery is influenced by a Portuguese Sculptor and print-maker Chillida , and you can check on him. His prints influenced me, as you will see, if you check.

As said, it is in the eye of the beholder - - -

Once I put this on the board I worried that it will be carried to a political argumentation and criticism, especially after the name it was given by the curator.

Blood is shed on both parties, and I honestly deeply hope it will end, as soon as possible.
However, I made an ABSTRACT PIECE, even though, may be sub consciously influenced by what I was experiencing at the time.

Thank you all,
HavI
Haviva Z

DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Havi..Congratulations.. I would be interested in what YOU would have titled this. I'm sure it is too late now as your thoughts have been influenced by others.
"The Glassman"
Havi

Post by Havi »

You know Don,
I REALLY don't know now.

I wanted very much to take part in this prestigious exhibition -- many of my colleagues did not make it. I had many technical problems working on this. TWO angle grinders broke on me............ had to order the white glass from USA, no one carried it here... etc.
However, I might have named it something like 'August 2014' -
he would have understood it, would have, he would not have understood it - might have looked for signs of very hot summer [?] as it is here in August.
It was really made under the bombing. While my bomb shelter is a step away from my studio. At least once I hid there, of course it was not as bad as in the south.

How would you have named it??? I would appreciate another perspective.

HaVi

In general I can add that the curator originally liked my work in this method, I did several pieces after attending a class with Parrish, in Zurich/ Switzerland... And the first piece she saw [the lowest one] was made absolutely innocently!

H.
Haviva Z

DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I often agree with some artists opinions that naming their work takes some of the "challenge/mystery" away from the piece. When the viewer is left to interpret the artwork without the artists prompt (title) it adds sometimes many unexpected layers to the work. I would not presume to know your situation or intent when you created this... That adds depth too your work. I would accept the curators opinion but not let her name my work... Once again congratulations on rising to the challenge!
"The Glassman"
Havi

Post by Havi »

You have challenged me..................
So I figured out some other options -

1. DE PROFUNDIS ממעמקים [Hebrew]

2. OUT OF THE DEPTHS

3. Out of the depths I have cried to you, come for me
Your return shall enlighten me [with or without the second sentence]

No. 2 and 3 are quotation from the Book of Proverbs, chapter 100 and something.
????
COMMENTS??

Thanks,

HaVi
Haviva Z

Marty

Post by Marty »

It's tempting to resist naming a piece that doesn't come by one easily or honestly but we do need an easy way to refer to the work (even if it's "Untitled Triptych #2").
We can be cryptic or descriptive with the title. I'd rather lead the viewer toward what I intended, or what the piece came out as in the end, but without beating them over the head with it or getting too pretentious. Sometimes there is no reasonable name, in which case Untitled etc. will do just as well as any other.

Havi- I'd let it percolate for a while, there's no hurry.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Call it Psalm 130.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Thanks Marty and Brad,
Usually I think the a piece without a name is lacking something. Even though I would like my non-figurative pieces to have abstract names - and allow the viewer to connect to the piece in any way he can -

Brad, I like a lot your suggestion [thanks for bothering to check exactly what chapter it is...]

anyway, there is no rush now.

This board is THE BEST!!!
better than any facebook.

Hugs,

HaVi
Haviva Z

JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I like "Out of the Depths". It still provokes the viewer to consider the work and derive their own interpretation of the meaning.

Dana W.
Havi

Post by Havi »

"LIKE"

Thanx

Havi
Haviva Z

Brock

Post by Brock »

NE VER let a curator title your work. It's none of their business. You create the work, you title it
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Brock wrote:NE VER let a curator title your work. It's none of their business. You create the work, you title it
my thoughts exactly. when i read that the curator 'named' the piece my only thought was who in the hell do they think that they are? what nerve. just wrong on many levels.r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

that curator naming them and the framing and shadows cast gave me that 's' image.
But seriously the naming of a piece, its framing and lighting can change what people see, and in combination create something unintended.
A lesson for everyone on the board.
Likewise don't let some gallery owner/curator denigrate the value of a work by saying it won't sell at the x price you want so we have to lower it. They want the piece but just want it to fly out the door, making them money at your expense.

Still don't like the technically well done piece that title or not.
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

I think a lot of gallery's are incredible and help us to get our pieces shown in the world. I have a lot of really good things to say about the hard dedicated work they do and how they go the extra mile to promote our art. So perhaps I come from it from another angle. With out the gallery's who have supported me over the years, I am not sure I would still be able to create like I do and go the extra mile to create something so unique like HAVI has. As for naming the piece, perhaps he or she was just helping and if an artist looks for help, who is to say that is not o.k. too! Havi is very talented and incredibly respectful and thoughtful and I am proud of her and her work. It tells a story that she wanted to tell and we should respect that. Although we all do not have to like each others work, we can respect the artist who has worked so hard and has been showcased in such a great public venue. I really like the piece , but like others , it is just my own opinion. Well done Havi . It is an emotional piece!
Give out Free Hugs!