Two oldies resurected.

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Haydo

Two oldies resurected.

Post by Haydo »

003.JPG
031.JPG
064.JPG

I look at it as fortunate to have two old panels available for trials to learn.

peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Buttercup

Re: Two oldies resurected.

Post by Buttercup »

Just saw these, Haydo. Very interesting! Is that high temperature paint applied before the slump or before the fuse?? I've had some strips sitting around for ages waiting to be fused with an incorporated painting but haven't done the tests to figure that out. Was thinking of low temperature paint as the last step before the slump. Jen
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Sorry Jen, these are backfilled engraved images using 'Gare' undercoat then capped before placing in a fused panel of canes. Did it this way to avoid flow.
peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Very interesting work. The strips look like satin and invite touching. Were the bubbles controlled? They add a bit of artistic tension to the regimented flow of the stripes. As for the painting, I'm surprised you didn't get bubbles when capped. I saw a demonstration where dry enamel was rubbed into lines formed by light sandblasting through a photo resist processed image. She was able to create very thin lines that way. I have been trying to find a way to add thin, dark lines with glass enamel and a brush. No luck - it spreads and fades. Anyhow, congratulations on your successful resurrection.
Vonon
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks, Haydo. Jen
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I have been trying to find a way to add thin, dark lines with glass enamel and a brush. No luck - it spreads and fades.

Vonon, Fay Good black mixed with clove oil, fired to 1080F (I'll double check that, kiln log not in front of me right now) comes out shiny and opaque. The lines can be as thin as you can apply it. I use a pen for really fine lines. Let it dry before you put in the kiln or it will run. That will take a while with oil. Jen
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Cheers Vonon, the bubbles came about by random as some of the canes would have been hollow, no control. I rubbed the panels down with a small piece of float use 120 grit Silica Carbide then a 400 grit diamond pad. peace, haydo