Working my way back to a passion

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Sharol

Working my way back to a passion

Post by Sharol »

For the past several months I've been drawn back to combing after a year-long murrini detour. I'm still exploring how to incorporate murrini into my combing passion, but in the interim I have been working on visual texture techniques other than Bob's wonderful crackle. This piece is probably half-baked, but I thought I'd post anyway to get some very needed input. I know (thanks Shawn!) from a composition perspective, I need to work on the line of demarcation between the wire melt and field (boring!), but this truly was an exercise in controlled wire melt design, understanding/guiding reactives and inlaid strip construction. :wink:

Vonon - This bowl is a little thinner than your triple threat.Thinning these down for strictly aesthetic purposes is something else I've been working on. It's about 16" in diameter and 3 1/2" deep. It's just a breath over 1/4 thick.

Any and all input is sincerely welcome! Thanks for checking it out!
Sharol
Attachments
IMG_3802.JPG
IMG_3800.JPG
IMG_3799.JPG
seachange

Re: Working my way back to a passion

Post by seachange »

Hi Sharon

the challenges you place to yourself are always interesting and your work is always original, really your own, and inspirational.

I am happy to see again pictures of your work as you find your way.

Thinning items down strictly for aesthetic purposes, as you describe so well, has also been part of my thoughts for a while. I am trying to develop a series of drop vases. Finding that balance between looking and feeling delicate, but not fragile, while achieving enough color density, is one of my challenges (one of many challenges as it is turning out 8-[ ).

All best wishes, Seachange
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

This is a fine example of combing your accomplished techniques with new experiment to create something original.. Congratulations!! Develop some; then sell them real quick before the copiers start their nonsense!
"The Glassman"
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Thanks Seachange. I've been working with dropout moulds too and appreciate your comments regarding finding the balance when it comes to wall thickness. I have yet to find the magic formula to successfully drop out a mixed component, combed slab. I'm still trying though. Hopefully my glass budget can sustain the effort!

Don - Thank you for your kind words. It's interesting that you mention the "copiers". Sometimes I worry about that. When working on techniques to incorporate into my stuff, being able to consistently reproduce outcomes is very important to me. Those of us who have been cooking glass for a while know that even getting close to constancy can be a long and painful process! #-o Perhaps someone bent on copying others' work, might find that effort less than satisfying or worth their time, energy and $$. I wonder. :wink:

Sharol
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

AWESOME, Sharol. Love seeing your new work. Jen
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Really nice. I love how the texture on the outside complements the darker texture inside (as seen in the last picture). You've mixed a lot of different patterns, but pulled it off well.

Dana W.
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Sharol, I love this piece. The colors are warm and perfectly suited to the technique. The last picture appears to show the colors used in the mesh melt distributed on the underside of the creamy white color. Are my eyes lyin' to me again? BTW, your bowl is still the focal point in my living room. Visitors always want to touch it and I encourage them to. Being able to feel the subtle "grain" of the strip construction enhances the experience. IMO you are putting the combing technique to it's finest use.
Vonon
Havi

Post by Havi »

So very excited to agree with ALL that had been said here.

Yessss, I also believe you are doing wonderful miracles with your combing. So original, so nicely put in the composition. Not a technique, but a composition.
I hope I am making my self clear.

Love your work Sharol.
BTW I am also playing with mesh melts now, even though on a more conventional method. I want to simply do abstract painting using the melt method. [and add a few things if necessary] I love the fact that the glass has its own say, in cooperation with me.

Good for you, Sharol, beautiful

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com