Another...recent work

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

The Hobbyist

Another...recent work

Post by The Hobbyist »

In a recent glass working season (winter in AZ) I made a number of variations of this design. They are all 12 inch squares with a square drop in the center. The starting point is the cut pieces of screen melts combined with, what I hope are, pleasing color surrounds and accents.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
Attachments
square A 2 WGBB.jpg
square A 1 WGBB.jpg
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Marty

Re: Another...recent work

Post by Marty »

Elegant.

I just came across your magless index card....
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

I love precision craftmanship and this is a fine example of it! Lovely composition. Well done! Congratulations!
Sharol
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

These pieces are beautiful. The color choices are rich and lively and the beauty is enhanced by your precision. Sunshine in Spring.
Vonon
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Pleasing, indeed. Beautiful colors and precision execution.

Dana W.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

All the most appropriate adjectives have been used so I'll simply agree! Love the fine, serene detail lines and the contrast with the turbulence of the individual squares. Well done!

Are you using a mold, Jim, or is the shape made using fibrepaper or board with a square cut out? Jen
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments especially noting the precision of the work. I'm not much of an artist but I am proud of the craftsmanship involved.

Wow! Marty, that piece goes back many years. It was a very limited edition made as a reward for the sorters in one of the magless exchanges. You must have been one. I can't remember, did I manage to write a note or is it just a glass version of a 3 x 5 card?

Jen, I did use a mold, BE #8646. It is oversize for the piece. I chose it because it allows the center portion to all fall nearly flat. I dislike it when it curls up the side especially for these kind of pieces.

I made about 20 of these so I'll try to post a couple more in the future.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Beautiful work!

Its a trip down memory lane to see those maglesses. I have one of your postcards, Jim, plus your sweet magless. Your post card sits on my windowsill in the workshop, alongside the orange tree miniature. Can I come by and visit you in Phoenix next March? I'll be teaching my Corallite Creations workshop nearby.
Cheers,
Nikki
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Nikki, what a pleasure to hear from you. You must have been on that sorting team also if you got one of my 3 x 5 "Thank You" cards. Those early magless exchanges were great and I still treasure them.

For sure, you are welcome to visit in March, or any time. Although that's a long way off. I hope I'm still alive then at 78. It will be wonderful to see you again. I remember still the pizza party at your home after a class at Vitrum. (So long ago.)

Where, in the Phoenix area, are you teaching the class?

Jim...still "The Hobbyist"
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

I do remember those days :-). It will be fun to get together.

I'm slated to teach at Warren Nyggard's studio, Milkweed Arts. My "Corallite Creations" class is not advertised there yet, but we're planning for a 4 day class, March 15-18. Let me know if you'll be available for a visit during this time period. Meanwhile, I'm teaching a similar class at Corning, this June 17-23. Life is good!
www.nikkioneillglass.com