Little Purple Riding Hood

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Don Burt

Little Purple Riding Hood

Post by Don Burt »

This is the bottom half of a two panel installation. It's mostly antique and flashed glass but the border is all Bullseye purple with cabochons of green, pink and amber fused to it. The reverse side of the border was blasted away to reveal the color of the cabs before painting the imagery on the front.
The rest of the piece and details can be seen here: http://www.burtglass.com/LPRH.html

Kevin Midgley

Re: Little Purple Riding Hood

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Impressive work as always Don. Well done.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I like all the small detail... takes a lot more than a glance to really appreciate this work... well done!
"The Glassman"
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Just like many modern day glass people were entranced by the wonderful works of Tiffany, who is going to pick up where Don eventually slows down? The mythical average person does not understand the skills or appreciate the time and money that goes into such creations and then wonders why they cannot have it for $5. I hope you are training someone your skills.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Thanks for the compliments Kevin. And Don M. I'm kind of in-tune with glass painting education and warm glass education, from being active in the American Glass Guild and from hanging out at the online sites and paying attention to social media. I think we're in pretty good shape in terms of skill transfer from all us geezers. There are a lot more ways and means to learn glass skills than there were in the previous century. People on this board of course know that Bullseye Co. in particular has been brilliant advocates of education. I see the AGG giving scholarships to glass painters every year and some really good work is coming out of it. People are taking advantage of the opportunities. Some Agnes Northrups, Clara Driscolls and Fredrick Wilsons are out there. Actually at a conference a couple years ago I met a young guy who at the time was working for WIllet Hauser, he's a kick-ass stained glass painter. Does stunning portraiture. His name is Kristopher Tiffany.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Squeals of delight coming from the Antipodes!!!!

Does anyone say 'too cool' any more?

Your sense of fun and wonderful, complex execution continue to inspire, Don. Thanks for sharing, Jen
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Thank you Jen!