Frame Idea

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

KellyG

Frame Idea

Post by KellyG »

Wanted to share a framing idea I had. Apologize for the picture quality. The wood is unfinished and looks pretty raw and there are finger prints all over the glass, but you'll get the general idea.

"Miss Clementine" is 9.75w x 11"h. I solicited advice on best way to frame and someone suggested using stained glass U zinc. The U channel wasn't wide enough to accomodate the glass and I wasn't really crazy about the idea anyway. I have quite a bit of wood framing stock and just happened to have some corner scraps laying around and discovered the channel was a perfect fit.

Then I had to come up with a way of attaching the four corners. Tried various things with limited success. The best prototype so far was using .75"w copper strips attached to the wood with copper brad nails. I used small "hook and eyes" on the sides to attach a piece of copper wire to hang the thing. The copper strips were rather flimsy, so I soldered 1/8" copper wire to the underside of the copper strips and used copper patina to cover the solder.

I see alot of potential here. Any suggestions on improving mechanics would be appreciated.

I'm going to try to post picts directly with the post. If I get the dredded red x, just click on the link.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... id=1403983

Ok, I got the dredded X. Would appreciate it if someone could point out the WG help on doing the picture thing.

...Kelly