How do you tell if all kiln wash is removed?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Kinsey K

How do you tell if all kiln wash is removed?

Post by Kinsey K »

I acquired some casting molds from someone who over-applied kiln wash. I want to remove it and use boron nitride.

How to tell if it is completely clean? If there is a small trace left, will it prevent the BN from working properly?

I think I have it mostly taken care of (scraper, chopstick, scrubbie, sandpaper, brush). Having trouble around the hole of the holey moley, though. I am itching to go to my dremel and use a light abrasive to go over the surface. I think it would be easier to see if I'm hitting everything evenly and smoothly.

Thoughts, advice?
Kinsey
Kinsey K

Re: How do you tell if all kiln wash is removed?

Post by Kinsey K »

Update:

Ok, I couldn't stay away from the dremel. I found a small, stiff-bristled brush attachment (not wire). Perfect size for getting around the holey moley hole. I went lightly over the rest, too. I'm thinking a bit of kiln wash remained on the surface because it kicked up dust. (When I tried the brush on the mold's un-washed underside, no dust.)

Also, after a couple passes with the brush, it looked more like the bare bisque color than it did before. Not entirely even, though, so my original question remains.

k
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

wash off the rest of the kiln wash and use a tooth brush.
I'd never use Boron. Then you are stuck using it.
Just use Bullseye kiln wash.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

I use Bn for all of my molds but use BE kilnwash for my shelves.
Works for me.
The other Jim