IS THIS FOR REAL,,,,,,ANNEALING

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

rodney

IS THIS FOR REAL,,,,,,ANNEALING

Post by rodney »

if you go to this site

http://www.collectorsguide.com/sf/g212.html

you will see where he says he anneals these pieces from 1 to 2 1/2 weeks, is this for real? what do you folks think, what would be a good and proper annealing schedule for things like this

thanks
rodney
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Yes, it's for real. It's not unusual for thick pieces to require days (even weeks) of annealing time.

Bullseye has some information on annealing for thick pieces on their website: http://www.bullseyeconnection.com/pdfs/ ... _thick.pdf
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

I was there visiting :) and the work is awesome. I even bought a blown vase there the prices were very reasonable.....I saw those pieces and they are very thick and beautiful. When I was down in Florida at a blown glass place they blew on Friday nite and then annealed until Sunday afternoon. (There pieces were not any where near the thickness of the ones on this page.) That was when you could come back and see the piece after it was finished annealing.
watershed

Post by watershed »

The annealing sched looks fine to me, I'm just finishing a 10 day cycle tommorrow. I think he may be annealing the pieces shown at 1 week. But I've learned to add a day whenever I'm in doubt.

The Melting sched looks long, but I can't argue with the results. Hot stuff.

Greg
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

In addition to the thickness of the pieces is the fact that there are voids running through them and lots of negative spaces. This increases annealing well over the amount needed for the thickest part of the glass. Stress builds up around the voids and inside corners.

ch
Brock

Post by Brock »

I used to have a picture on my fridge of Charlie Miner's grand daughter INSIDE of of his big ones, about 4' across by 3' high. He built a special kiln just to cast these monsters, it's round, about 5' by 4'. All dimensions approximate. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Rocky Gentry

Post by Rocky Gentry »

Brock, rumor has it that you were killed in a car crash orchestrated by the Police State. Say it ain't so. Also, don't say that the reports of your death are grossly exagerated.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Rocky Gentry wrote:Brock, rumor has it that you were killed in a car crash orchestrated by the Police State. Say it ain't so. Also, don't say that the reports of your death are grossly exagerated.
Okay.
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .