208V-3 Phase Power but have 240V-1 Phase Kilns

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Joe Pfeifer

208V-3 Phase Power but have 240V-1 Phase Kilns

Post by Joe Pfeifer »

I have a few questions regarding kilns and power:

I have at my shop only 208V Three Phase power. I have a couple of casting kilns that are rated for 240V Single Phase at 45 Amps. Has anyone had any actual experience using a kiln like this:

1: As-is, on 208V If so, how much more time does it take to get to temperature? Do you have to reprogram the controller? Do you need to open the controller, and rewire the controller on it's separate 120V power?

2. Anyone have a good experience using a Buck Transformer in this situation? If so teach me please!

3. Anyone here remove the elements, cut them down for 208V?

Thanks!
Dick

Re: 208V-3 Phase Power but have 240V-1 Phase Kilns

Post by Dick »

The single phase from three phase is no problem. In three phase there are 3 hot legs. This takes a 3 space breaker. By putting a single phase 240 volt double pole breaker in, that solves that problem. I had a studio with the same issues. You have to play around with it as it will take longer, and hi temp firings can be a problem. The other option is a buck and boost transformer. It can convert the 208 to 240. Lots of info on google or grainger
Tony Smith

Re: 208V-3 Phase Power but have 240V-1 Phase Kilns

Post by Tony Smith »

I would follow Dick's recommendations AND replace the kiln elements to operate at the lower voltage. That will ensure you can get to temperature in a reasonable amount of time.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun