Casting Newbie - Info/direction please.

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

pam l

Casting Newbie - Info/direction please.

Post by pam l »

Hi Everyone,

I currently work with fused glass and dabble with lampworked beads - a self-proclaimed glass addict. I am so fascinated by pate de verre and eagerly want to learn more. Unfortunately, there are no classes to be found in my area, so if I am to get started, I'll have to make initial headway on my own. I'm up for that adventure!

Anyone want to point me in the right direction for books, video, resources that I can use to get a start on my pate de verre and kiln-casting education (other than what I'll find here of course! :D

Thanks much!

pam l.
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

For starters:

The Art and Technique of Pate de Verre--Tokyo Art Institute

Pate de Verre and Kiln Casting of Glass--Jim Kervin and Dan Fenton

Glass Casting and Moldmaking, Glass Fusing Book Three--Boyce Lundstrum
watershed

Post by watershed »

And "Glass as an Artist's medium"

Greg
Kelly Burke Makuch

Post by Kelly Burke Makuch »

Pam, Do you live close to the Brookfield Craft Center, Brookfield, CT? They have occas. advanced glass forming classes. May be a place to get your feet wet!
Kelly Makuch(ma-kooch)
P.S. Corning? summer classes?
pam l

Post by pam l »

Hi Kelly,

I a big supporter of the Brookfield Craft Center. I volunteer there and have been "encouraging" them to add a pate de verre/kiln-casting class to the roster. A while back, I posted to the old bulletin board here looking for reco's on pate de verre instructors to forward to BCC. A class hasn't happened yet, but oh, I think it will! :wink: Of course, if you have any interest in pate de verre, feel free to drop a few hints with BCC.

In the meantime, I'll be "home schooling" :D

pam l
Kelly Burke Makuch

Heads Up--Brookfield Craft Center -Summer Classes-Pate de..

Post by Kelly Burke Makuch »

Hey Pam ,
I thought I'd pass this along to you . I just heard from a reliable source that Brookfield Craft Center will be having a 3-4 day Pate de verre Class come July-----The summer classes booklet has not been published yet but if you're still interested in local classes.. I'd call them and get your name on a list. Sorry I don't know the instructors name. Kelly
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Another good book is 'Kilnforming' by Keith Cummings.

ellen