foreign magazines/books

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

ellen abbott

foreign magazines/books

Post by ellen abbott »

I have recieved two requests in the last several weeks. One from China (book) and now one from Turkey (magazine). Essentially both requests are for images and copy for publishing purposes. Free of charge I might add. Does anyone else get these requests?

I happen to have a pen pal in China (Beijing) and the request from a professor in the arts and design department of a university in Beijing she is checking out for me. His creditials seem to be real. He wants to write a book about the glass arts and include international artists.

Then today, I got a request for material from a Turkish magazine.

Not sure how they stumble onto me. Through my website or through one of the arts websites that I have a portfolio on.

E
aly

Post by aly »

I recieved that email too, the one from Turkey. I have always been kind of leery of things like that, mostly because it came to my hotmail account, not my web site email. But I don't really know what to say, would be great if it isn't a scam of some sort.
"The important thing is to never stop questioning..." -Albert Einstein
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

sounds kind of strange. there are some internet scams that target artisits going around now. i wonder about that 'competition' in korea. can't think of the name of it right now but it has full page ads in 'artist calander' mag and 'crafts report' too i think. 20 k prize i think. i just wonder how many entrants will see their stuff knocked off next year. article in the nyt last week about sillicosis in chineese stone bead factories. poor workers make 1$ per hour to machine semi precious stone all day every day with no dust protection. korea probably has comperable pay/working conditions. rosanna
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

I also got an email from Turkey which included this website: <http://www.tasarimgroup.com.

Undoubtedly, someone is researching material for an article and found us through any number of sources: internet search, published articles, The Guild Sourcebook, maybe they stumbled upon the Warm Board.

Three observations:

1) Nobody gets paid for having their work featured in an article.

2) Why assume it's a scam (and what exactly is the scam)?

3) If you want people to know about your work, you've got to put it before the public which includes getting published. If you're worried about getting ripped off, then don't show anybody your work.

So, will I send them images? Probably not. I've got a lot on my plate at the moment and Turkey is not my market...so far. Although I have been contacted at least twice about projects in Japan. Nothing has come of them but who the heck knows. Maybe I should reconsider.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg