Artist Bio and Resume

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Cindy next door

Artist Bio and Resume

Post by Cindy next door »

I'm now working on contacting galleries. I have been getting good response. A number of them would like a bio and a resume. I have my bio done but I can't quite figure out the resume.

I think of a resume like in the business sense. But as I search through artist's websites, I don't find that style or many resumes.

I don't have any art education (it's a business) and I've been a homemaker for the past 18 years so it's hard to have a lot to show for myself at this point.

How do I present a resume that looks like an emerging artist?

Help!!!!
Cindy next door
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Hi Cindy-

I have wondered about this myself in trying to get a resume together, since I have no formal art education either. From what I have seen of others resumes, it looks like many list all of the workshops and classes they have taken. That should at least give you something to get it started.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
BobbieMatus

Post by BobbieMatus »

For an artists resume just put down any classes, workshops etc. If you don't have that then put some background about how you learned your craft. Important to list shows you have done, especially major art festivals and any ribbons you have one. Hope this helps. Basically that's all they are looking for. You can put as much information as you want regarding your training. For instance, in my resume I mention the fact that I started drawing when I was ten years old. If you have any ribbons, even honorable mention or purchase awards always mention them next to the show you received them. :D :lol:
S. Klein

Post by S. Klein »

Hi Cindy:

Usually tthe galleries are looking for a bio and an aaartists statement. The statements can be very difficult, but they are a great exercise in understanding why you are doing what you are doing. The Bullseye Connection Gallery website http://www.bulleyeconnectiongallery.com has bios and statements from each artist they represent. You might want to read them for examples................steve
Steve Klein Studio
1650 N. Glassell, Studio U
Orange, CA 92867