What is your favorite webpage building program?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Dolores

What is your favorite webpage building program?

Post by Dolores »

Hey glass guardians out there! I've followed the discussion on finding a host for a website, now the obvious question: what is your favorite program for designing your own webpage and why? I've built my own site using Microsoft Home Publisher, but would like to do oh, so much more (and hopefully full screen and more professional looking!?!). I've been considering FrontPage (got to do something with that lawsuit settlement rebate! :roll: ), but I've seen some nasty feedback on FrontPage 2002 in the archives. What is the current train of thought on the most recent software applications (2003)? Does anyone use Dreamweaver or Adobe and are you satisfied with the results? So...site building experts, what say you?
dee

Re: What is your favorite webpage building program?

Post by dee »

Dolores wrote:Hey glass guardians out there! I've followed the discussion on finding a host for a website, now the obvious question: what is your favorite program for designing your own webpage and why? I've built my own site using Microsoft Home Publisher, but would like to do oh, so much more (and hopefully full screen and more professional looking!?!). I've been considering FrontPage (got to do something with that lawsuit settlement rebate! :roll: ), but I've seen some nasty feedback on FrontPage 2002 in the archives. What is the current train of thought on the most recent software applications (2003)? Does anyone use Dreamweaver or Adobe and are you satisfied with the results? So...site building experts, what say you?
i would recommend dreamweaver mx, the dreamweaver training from the source book and a good book on html, look for laura lemay books - it's great to understand the html so you can tweak the pages when the editors do weird things which all of them do - i also stay far far far away from frontpage - but then i am not a ms fan....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
lauren

Post by lauren »

dreamweaver plus htmlgoodies.com for reference on tweaking things and customizing. the tutorials at htmlgoodies.com are a good place to start if you have no idea how html works, i like them better than the dreamweaver tutorials.

after i understood what i was looking at in html, the way i learned the most was copying the code from pages that i liked and dissecting them. i think that's definitely the fastest way to learn.

good luck

peace
- l
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Thanks Lauren and Dee. Actually, I have studied htmlgoodies.com tutorials when I was tweaking my Ebay listings and yes, I agree it is very helpful and easy to follow. Dreamweaver does seem to be highly thought of in the website building catagory. I'll have to try out a demo version if its available. Can one create separate scrolling boxes in this program? How about thumbnail links to picture files? Basically, I'm looking for more presentation options than the crammed up single pages I already have! I'm also willing to take any and all advice before I buy a program I'll live to regret. :shock:
paulajane

Post by paulajane »

Over the years, I've used Frontpage, GoLive and Dreamweaver. I love Dreamweaver and have used it now for years. I also like FireWorks for compressing Photoshop files into gifs or jpegs. I have found I can get the smallest and best quality files using that program in the easiest manner.

Paula
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Homesite. It is an HTML/Javascript/ASP editor. I hate "visual" web page designers.

Fireworks MX for quick roll-over, etc.

- Paul
rodney

Post by rodney »

the only program that ive used is FRONTPAGE 2000,,,,,microsoft extensions are on, probably all of the host sites, and its an easy program for me to use,,,i use about 1% of the features, since i have a very basic site, which i use for pic hosting, the other programs i cant say, but i can say this, if i can get it to work, its easy
rodney