The Seattle Gift Show

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Isabell

The Seattle Gift Show

Post by Isabell »

I would like to start wholesaling some of my work and I am considering renting a booth space at "The Seattle Gift Show" in the Handmade area.
The rental space is ( 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep). The rental is ablut $ 372
for 5 days. I have no idea at all if it would be worth my time at all.
Has anyone ever done this show? What kind of results did you get?
Thanks.
Isabella.
Marty

Post by Marty »

No experience with Seattle but I've done other regionals including the NY Gift Show. Handmade (I think Seattle is a GLM show) means handmade anywhere, and includes factories.

First visit the show, find out where your spot is likely to be (if you decide to do it)- newcomers sometimes get put in Siberia where you only see the cleaning staff.

Is there competition for your line? Can you match prices or offer something unique that the competition doesn't have?
You'll be amazed at how cheaply the Chinese can produce glass stuff, and the stores that buy it are accustomed to at least a 300% markup to retail, and sometimes as high as 600%. Typically a glass paperweight or tumbler that lands on these shores for $2 (including freight, duty, customs, etc.) will retail for $10 to $12!

Can you produce enough? And still pay yourself a decent wage? And ship on time?

6x4 feet is tiny. If you have small stuff and can make do with a 6' table across the front of the booth with you behind the table, it might work. Don't forget the cost of electricity, pipe and drape, your time.

These shows are typically busiest the first and second days. Bring a book or some knitting for the other 3 days. Bring food and water- the prices at the concessions are always outrageous.

You will meet all kinds of buyers/lookers. I had people wanting to buy samples (with the clear implication that they were going to copy the work). Beware the temple gift shops and the interior decorators- they may be legit but are often shopping for themselves.

Don't give out any info without getting a business card in exchange- and don't settle for "I just gave out my last card!"- have them write out their info for your mailing list.

The gift shows do work for some of us. At that cost (not counting your time) you only need to pick up 3 or 4 good steady wholesale accounts to make it worthwhile and to get started. I assume you're local so you won't have travel costs. Another way to start is to identify local shops and make appointments to see their buyers. Maybe the 5 days will be better spent touring the Oregon coast and stopping at every likely shop- I did that in one day about 15 years ago and got 2 orders and drove my wife crazy (we were on vacation)!

One last thought- when you walk the show, look for the reps' booths, the ones with large assortments of all kinds of stuff. If one looks like a good match for your stuff, talk to them about representation. Standard rep fees are 15% of your wholesale price. You should not have to pay a portion of their booth fee to be shown.

email me.
Marty
Rick Jarvis

Post by Rick Jarvis »

We do that show from time to time...Yeah what Marty said.

I'd add that we always pick up some new accounts and that we write enought at the show to make it worthwhile...but it is slow...You just never know what might happen there...at our last we picked up a new account that has a standing order for 3k worth of product every month.

Its a good place to get your feet wet and you can't beat the price.

Good luck and maybe see you in Jan

Rick
Michelle Fokos

Post by Michelle Fokos »

what a great question and absolutely wonderful responses! thank you! i've also been considering trying this show, but don't think i'm quite ready for it yet. but i am planning on walking the show to see what it is all about...i will look for both of you, isabell and rick!

michelle