Nigeria Order

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Christyn Mattson

Nigeria Order

Post by Christyn Mattson »

My gut tells me to ignore this but about a week ago, I got an email from a guy in Nigeria inquiring about some of my pieces. I'm well aware of the email scams going on and get those kinds of offers frequently. This one is different. This person has sent his name, address, phone number, etc. and has indicated what items he wants. Once a price is settled upon, he will send me his cc info and wants me to ship UPS international express.

I thought I read earlier somewhere that someone had a good experience with shipping items to Nigeria. I'm just very leery and can't afford to lose anything!

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Christyn
Marty

Post by Marty »

Don't do it. It's a scam.
KatyPattison

Post by KatyPattison »

Really don't do it! We pre-authorized the credit card etc. before sending out an order and found out 3 month later that the card was stolen that day and had not been reported yet! We were out $1500!

Katy
Ann Demko

scam

Post by Ann Demko »

Is there an easy way to tell if an offer is a scam or not? Ann
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: scam

Post by Brad Walker »

Ann Demko wrote:Is there an easy way to tell if an offer is a scam or not? Ann
Sure. If it's from Nigeria, assume it's a scam. The amount of business you could possibly lose is minimal, and the risk of a scam is maximal.

I even filter out emails to me that mention the word Nigeria and delete them without reading.
Pam

Post by Pam »

Glenda Kronke

Int'l orders

Post by Glenda Kronke »

For what it's worth,

all international orders are handled via wire transfer, ship only after receiveing confirmation from YOUR bank.

(If they don't have a bank account, don't sell to them)

No worries.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Wow. I'm glad I'm not a Nigerian trying to buy something.
Last edited by Paul Tarlow on Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Paul Tarlow wrote:Wow. I'm glad I'm not a Nigerian trying to by something.
I won't even read your emails. :lol:
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I won't even read this thread
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

It's definately a scam - because I got the exact same request. What threw me for a loop is that they were specific and named a piece from my web site - so it gave me a feeling that they might be real. Just for kicks I calculated how much is would cost to ship to Nigeria - it was over 500.00 - so I just got cold feet and dropped it. I just sent a nice reply No I do not do international shipping.

I've erased the original email - but out of curiosity if you want to email me the name privately I'll confirm whether it is the same person or not.

:shock:
-Terry O.
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
jj jacobs

Post by jj jacobs »

Recently my 21-year-old nephew was contacted by a man in Nigeria wanting 40 custom-made dog collars....I'm his "artist" on the collars and was fairly suspicious. I insisted on getting a deposit from the man before I'd start the artwork (which didn't make me very popular with my nephew) but--the man's VISA wouldn't work; nor was he able to go through PayPal or Western Union. Based on the initial correspondence I saw between the man from Nigeria and my nephew, he appeared to be on the level. Even as the money issues kept arising, he maintained that it was simply an "international error" , he was good for the $$ and could we just send a partial order? It's been about three weeks now and still no money. But--the emails have stopped....guess he's hitting the glass artists now! :-k
Colin & Helen

Re: scam

Post by Colin & Helen »

Brad Walker wrote:
Ann Demko wrote:Is there an easy way to tell if an offer is a scam or not? Ann
Sure. If it's from Nigeria, assume it's a scam. The amount of business you could possibly lose is minimal, and the risk of a scam is maximal.

I even filter out emails to me that mention the word Nigeria and delete them without reading.
Brad... so I won't get that million dollars....bugger.....
Brock

Post by Brock »

Poor Nigeria. Civil war, a brutal regime, rapacious gas companies and now we've killed off their nascent glass jewelry importing business.

Oh well. More caviar? Brockster Craigster III
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

Calling.... Brock..and how about that Canadian Lotto scam.. we have received several e-mails telling us of or new fortune......if only we could find that ticket.....we didn't buy...
Brock

Post by Brock »

Colin & Helen wrote:Calling.... Brock..and how about that Canadian Lotto scam.. we have received several e-mails telling us of or new fortune......if only we could find that ticket.....we didn't buy...

Who us? The Nigeria of the developed world? Wanna buy some diamonds?
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Dennis Brady

Post by Dennis Brady »

Another variation is a request to buy with the proposal to direct depost the payment to your bank. Just give the customer your bank account no and they'll wire transfer funds. The transfer of funds will be from and not to your account.

I've had this request from several different countries.
DeBrady Glass Ltd http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass http://www.vicartglass.com
Glass Campus online classes http://www.glasscampus.com
Christyn Mattson

Re: Nigeria

Post by Christyn Mattson »

Thank you, thank you, thank you all! Not only am I relieved and feel like I'm off the hook, I LOVED your responses. I don't even think I'm going to read this thread anymore, either! :lol:
Nickie Jordan

Post by Nickie Jordan »

Oh come on, one more Nigerian story.
About 20 years ago- in my past life- I worked on a road construction job in the Aleutian Islands, the 'birthplace of the winds'.
Afterwards, I had a great idea for a small business - rain-proof, water-proof hard hat liners.
Not too long after receiving my business license, I received a letter from a very polite Nigerian asking for samples of my product. I couldn't figure out how he got my address (way before PC's), and what kind of market he could possibly have for my creations. To be honest, I was a bit flattered by the attention.
Soon, I received yet another polite letter, which I also ignored - but should have contacted the BBB.
A couple of weeks later, another letter came. This time the 'polite' Nigerian turned into a nasty, accusing, ornery person, berrating me for my lack of courtesy in responding to him after he took all that time in being polite enough to ask for all the free samples I would be willing to send him. How dare I !
3 businesses later, I still have a few left over hard hat liners - too bad I don't have his address ! - N
Dennis Brady

Post by Dennis Brady »

Here's another scam - but from China not Nigeria.

Email offered to sell me art glass at appealling low prices. They sent an impressive collection of photos of their glass that looks almost exactly like a mix of Bullseye, Uroborus and Youghieghenny - but at about 20% of the cost. They propose sending me a 300 pieces sample set and only ask for my credit card no. to pay the $75. freight for that sample set.
DeBrady Glass Ltd http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass http://www.vicartglass.com
Glass Campus online classes http://www.glasscampus.com