UPS Lost Supplies

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Lynn Perry

UPS Lost Supplies

Post by Lynn Perry »

UPS lost my latest shipment from my supplier, the first time ever in over 20 years. The package was delivered to a center about 25 miles from my house, and then onto the delivery truck. I happened to be at home when the UPS truck arrived and watched and heard the driver checking all the packages without finding my shipment. Six days and a hurricane later, still no delivery or progress on the UPS investigation to find the lost package. I am curious whether any of you have had UPS find a lost package. Thanks.
Lynn Perry
Barry Kaiser

Re: UPS Lost Supplies

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Have never had UPS lose a package. Shipped (and received) thousands of packages in my previous life.However, if it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't) the UPS driver will lose his job if you have reported the loss. UPS expects the drivers to lock their trucks whenever they are not in them. They consider the driver responsible for the packages.
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Thanks for sharing your information, Barry. My supplier has a replacement shipment (less one now out-of-stock item) ready to send, and asked me to wait a couple of more days before they ship. About ten years ago, I bought a couple of tires from Tire Rack, and they never arrived. The tires were shipped strapped together, so it was easy for someone to know what they were stealing. What they will do with some frit and stringer would be interesting to know, probably just put it in the trash....

I do hope the driver does not lose his job. I primarily sell through galleries, and it is impossible to not have jewelry stolen.
Lynn Perry
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

UPS leaves parcels on the porch all the time.. they do not even ring the doorbell to let you know something is there. I wonder how much stuff is actually stolen off peoples front porch after the driver has left. They once left a $1000. Bose stereo system on my porch... it sat there for most of one day with boxes clearly showing contents! Other couriers (Purolator) knock and ask for signature. :shock:
"The Glassman"
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

UPS should not leave a package unless you have a signature on file with them and release all liability for the package.

A few years ago, I ordered some products from Aveda on-line. They were supposedly delivered, but I never received them. So... one of two things happened -- someone stole them from my front porch (seems unlikely... I live in Utah and we are all wholesome :mrgreen: ), or they were delivered to the wrong address. I think they were likely delivered to the wrong address and someone ended up with a lovely box of shampoos & conditioners. For many years, "google maps" used to put our house about two miles away in a different canyon, so I'm thinking UPS had a new guy who got lost.

I filed a claim and received a replacement package. However, after that, UPS would no longer leave a package on my doorstep unless I signed a "release of liability". They are a bit inconsistent in the application of this, however, and now seem to leave packages all the time. It's a catch 22 because if you are not home on a regular basis, it is hard to get packages, but if you sign a release, then they are not responsible when the thing comes up missing. I can ask that the package be held at the local UPS office, but their hours are (inconveniently), 2 PM to 6 PM, and it also delays receipt because once they receive a package it goes pretty much immediately on the truck. And then you have to wait for the package to get OFF the truck, and held at the UPS location so you can pick it up.

On the flip side, one time an air-head relative mailed a package via UPS to the COMPLETELY wrong address. The UPS office contacted me by phone, confirmed the person sending the package and my correct address, and delivered it.

We're almost on a first name basis with our UPS driver. He brings great stuff. BTW, am I the only one who gets a warm glow when they see Conway Transportation trucks on the highway? They are the carrier who delivers lift gate freight to my house, which has included kilns and big pallets of glass :mrgreen: . Makes me happy -- the last guy was even someone who dabbled in fused glass.

Dana W.
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Well, I got two calls from UPS tracking yesterday asking me if I ever got my package. I told them I had not and that I was going to refuse the shipment if it ever arrived since I already had a replacement order. Then, late yesterday afternoon the missing package suddenly appeared on my porch and it was in pristine condition. Now, I have a call in to my supplier for further instructions on how they want the package return-shipped, via Will-call, I am guessing.

So, UPS retains their 100% shipping success but loses the on-time delivery record....
Lynn Perry