Kirra Galleries closing

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Fiona Collins

Kirra Galleries closing

Post by Fiona Collins »

June 30 this year, big loss for Oz glass movement, am personally shattered as I had 3 pieces entered in this years emerging artist at mansfield and now they'll be in studio glass with the grown ups, much tougher gig :cry:
Haydo

Re: Kirra Galleries closing

Post by Haydo »

Good luck Fiona. I've been tempted to enter the MAGE at Mansfield but don't meet the criteria for the show yet. - haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

These shows are often about the galleries making money and not the artists at all. It is their way of finding new (translation: naive artist) willing to sell their art for less than it is worth in terms of time labor and materials
I would not meet their criteria either. Give me $50 and I'd consider your work too. Also if it is in the show I'll take 25% of it. Oh and you shouldn't price it over $2,500. Yes there is a $1,000 award and the chance to show in a gallery (where the commission will be 50% or more?) .... is that the one closing? that everyone has paid for with their entry fees.
Some deal. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
http://artsmansfield.com.au/wp-content/ ... a-2017.pdf
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Did a show one time at a gallery where I was already represented and pieces were selling. They asked for additional work which I did just for them and shipped at my expense. The show finished without any new pieces selling, so they then returned the new work and all of my old work. A very fulfilling experience..... Never again.
Lynn Perry